El Camino Central Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
If the convertor spins in only one direction that's good quick check. It would be good to have it checked out a long with the trans. Please let us know what your trans person says about why its not working (bad pump, etc..)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I hope it’s actually something in the trans why else would my car not go into gear any gear for that matter just park I’ll keep ya posted once I drop it off and get some news . I’m guessing bad pump didn’t hear any grinding and trans fluid smelt fine

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
If the convertor spins in only one direction that's good quick check. It would be good to have it checked out a long with the trans. Please let us know what your trans person says about why its not working (bad pump, etc..)
Does it spinning one direction mean it’s still good ??

·
Registered
450 Posts
"Does it spinning one direction mean it’s still good ??" yes, convertor sprag to only spin in one direction is a good thing. I have seen people break these drag racing.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Took tranny in so I guess the guy that installed my motor put a non lockup torque converter on a lockup th350 tranny . The trans guy said th350 after 1980 we’re junk but I’m not sure , I’m just taking his word… so he’s now building me a non lockup th350 .. he said he doesn’t even know how I drove the car at all torque converter was only on the spline a quarter of an inch chewed up teeth….

·
Registered
450 Posts
Took tranny in so I guess the dhead that installed my motor put a non lockup torque converter on a lockup th350 tranny . The trans guy said th350 after 1980 we’re junk but I’m not sure , I’m just taking his word… so he’s now building me a non lockup th350 .. he said he doesn’t even know how I drove the car at all torque converter was only on the spline a quarter of an inch chewed up teeth….
Sorry to hear this. The non-lockup would be the way to go with a stall convertor and 383 like what you have... The lockup 350 is easy to detect, it has an electrical plug on the side of the trans for the lock up convertor. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The torque convertor should be loose (slide back and forth) on the input shaft and then it should slide up to your flywheel. I have never shimmed my convertors.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
It’s at 1/4 I just thought by sliding it forward it would take away from the pump ,slide away from it. Just making sure it’s installed correctly next question is I’m the only one installing it so what’s my best options for bolting up the converter to flywheel

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
X2

Get a crank turning tool also. So much easier than turning the flywheel 2 teeth at a time with a screwdriver.

With a long ratchet or breaker bar you can brace it against something to get good torque on the bolts.

·
Registered
450 Posts

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
41 - 56 of 56 Posts