El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know an inexpensive way to do this? I've looked at some commercial services and U-haul but either way they all seem to be around $1000. Just wondering if there are independent services or individuals who do this for a little less.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Cant help but can offer advice.

If its a classic or nice car you would be better off paying a little more to ensure your car stays safe and is done in a timely manner.

·
Silver Contributor Participating Member
461 Posts
On another forum Intercity Lines was just recommended earlier today:

"We used the services of Intercity Lines to move the car from San Diego to Houston and I am completely pleased with their service. They were prompt in responding, they delivered on a tight time frame as promised, their pricing is competitive and their equipment is first class. The driver Andy provided me with regular updates from the road and is a seasoned professional. They are well organized administratively and overall it was a very good experience. I recommend them."

·
Registered
291 Posts
i would also like to know, i had to leave my elky in ohio when i moved to kansas. my mom said a co-worker's friend of her's drives through my town on his way to pick up his loads. i would say to find someone going to your area from where the car is, you may be able to get it moved cheap. truckers hat driving with empty loads, so you may get a discount.

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
8 years ago I paid $600 to have my car transported to Florida from Upstate NY, 6 years ago I towed it back behind a Penske rental truck for a lot less.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,603 Posts
Shaun , I don`t have a definitive answer for you but suggest you do a Google Search for auto transport and get several quotes . Several weeks ago I tried to buy an 84 El Camino , in running condition from Bradenton , Fl. which is just below Tampa . The distance from Bradenton to Key West is 360 miles one way . I was too late and lost the deal so I did not bother to find out if the transport was enclosed or open . I got around 10 immediate bids ranging from $ 250 to $ 750 . Some of the sites that responded had quotes from 5 different companies and some of them are independent operators . As you may know the price will depend on if enclosed , open or if the vehicle is in running condition so there are some some differences that should be understood and checked out with the operator . I have started to notice that some for sale sites have a feature that you put in your zip code and it give you three quotes on the spot . Quotes are for Open , closed or premium service .

·
Registered
578 Posts
I recently had my car shipped from Washington state to Ohio...cost $1000.
I did the math and calculated the 2200 mile journey..10 miles per gallon= 220 gallons x $4 per gallon...easy $1000 in fuel alone,plus hotel food etc.
I don't see how you guys expect to ship a car for under $1000.:dontknow:
If I had to trailer something a short distance,it still would be cheaper paying someone to haul it one way,then hauling myself and paying fuel both ways.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I'm just gonna go with one of the transport companies for about that price.
Did you use an open or closed container? And did the car arrive no problems?

I recently had my car shipped from Washington state to Ohio...cost $1000.
I did the math and calculated the 2200 mile journey..10 miles per gallon= 220 gallons x $4 per gallon...easy $1000 in fuel alone,plus hotel food etc.
I don't see how you guys expect to ship a car for under $1000.:dontknow:
If I had to trailer something a short distance,it still would be cheaper paying someone to haul it one way,then hauling myself and paying fuel both ways.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts