El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flying in to Tampa on Monday, driving to Orlando, spending all week in Orlando, coming back on Saturday and flying out Sunday night.
We've already visited the east coast beaches, time to see the west coast. (wife and teenage daughter anyway, not me). since it will only be Saturday noon thru Sunday noon, trying to determine the best place to stay that will be easy to get in and out of for the airport (relatively), has decent lodging, restaurants, and nice beach, and is a safe middle class 'hood.

Dunedin, Clearwater, Palm Harbor?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Clearwater and St. Petersburg area is nice but I haven't stayed there enough recently to recommend a specific place to stay. Most of our Region 6 members are on the East coast but hopefully someone closer can chime in.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
5,140 Posts
Cyberray , If you have access to a vehicle , a ride up to Ocala to visit the Don Garlits Museum of Drag Racing would be pretty cool . There are a couple of building of racing stuff as well as antique vehicles and memorabilia It is right off of highway I 75 . Not sure what is going on with the professional sports but there is baseball and basketball teams in the area . There are cruise-ins in a couple of places in the Old Town and Kissimmee area on Friday and Saturdays that a Google search may help . Sorry I live so far away , just outside of Key West . Hey , those of you that live in the area have any ideas /suggestions ?

·
Registered
876 Posts
I agree that the Don Garlits museum is worth the trip if you're going to be near Orlando. Haven't been in a couple years now but it's a really interesting place to visit.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 6
1,546 Posts
Cyberray, Here are a few hotels in different price ranges. All are close to Tampa International Airport.
Don't know what your plans are but if you have time maybe we can meet for dinner. Keep me posted and we can work out something. Let me know if you want any other info.

La Quinta Inn by Wyndham Tampa Bay Airport (rated 6.7 of 10)
Double Room with Two Double Beds - Mobility Access/Non-Smoking
1 night, 2 adults
$85

Ramada by Wyndham Tampa Airport Westshore (rated 7.2)
Double Room with Two Double Beds and City View - Non-Smoking
1 night, 2 adults
$98

Hampton Inn & Suites Tampa Airport Avion Park Westshore (rated 8.8 of 10)
Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking
1 night, 2 adults
$134

Hyatt Place Tampa Airport/Westshore . (rated 8.9 of 10)((rated
Double Room with Two Double Beds and Sofa Bed
1 night, 2 adults
$149

Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel (rated 9 of 10)
Queen Room with 2 Queen Beds
1 night, 2 adults
$199

·
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cyberray, Here are a few hotels in different price ranges. All are close to Tampa International Airport.
Don't know what your plans are but if you have time maybe we can meet for dinner. Keep me posted and we can work out something. Let me know if you want any other info.

La Quinta Inn by Wyndham Tampa Bay Airport (rated 6.7 of 10)
Double Room with Two Double Beds - Mobility Access/Non-Smoking
1 night, 2 adults
$85

Ramada by Wyndham Tampa Airport Westshore (rated 7.2)
Double Room with Two Double Beds and City View - Non-Smoking
1 night, 2 adults
$98

Hampton Inn & Suites Tampa Airport Avion Park Westshore (rated 8.8 of 10)
Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking
1 night, 2 adults
$134

Hyatt Place Tampa Airport/Westshore . (rated 8.9 of 10)((rated
Double Room with Two Double Beds and Sofa Bed
1 night, 2 adults
$149

Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel (rated 9 of 10)
Queen Room with 2 Queen Beds
1 night, 2 adults
$199
Unfortunately we're (wife, daughter, and I) spending all week in Orlando at a tournament, driving back to TampaBay on Sat morning, then flying out late Sunday afternoon. and they want to goto the beach (I HATE the beach) but at least I got them to goto a nicer beach than the Atlantic coast (at least so I hear). might be able to meet up for supper.

As for staying somewhere, I just want to be too close to the wrong 'hood or staying someplace where I have to go thru horrendous traffic to go where I need to be. shoot me a PM with your #, R/T, and we'll chat later.

Thanks!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Unfortunately we're (wife, daughter, and I) spending all week in Orlando at a tournament, driving back to TampaBay on Sat morning, then flying out late Sunday afternoon. and they want to goto the beach (I HATE the beach) but at least I got them to goto a nicer beach than the Atlantic coast (at least so I hear). might be able to meet up for supper.

As for staying somewhere, I just want to be too close to the wrong 'hood or staying someplace where I have to go thru horrendous traffic to go where I need to be. shoot me a PM with your #, R/T, and we'll chat later.

Thanks!
Not really sure where you heard the west coast beaches were nicer than east coast, but I guess if you're already not a fan of beaches it doesn't make a huge difference to you! Asides from that hopefully you enjoy your time in Orlando. There's plenty to do in the area, though pretty hard to avoid traffic depending on the time of day, especially if it's near or on I4.

·
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, we finally got everything lined up last week. fly in Monday evening, get the rent-a-car and try to get out of that rats maze at Tampa airport and drive to Orlando, stay in O until Sat morning and back to Tampa where they can goto the beach (staying somewhere around 60/19). flying out late Sunday so probably going to visit Univ. of Tampa and Univ of South Florida for the teenager who graduates next year (but doesn't want to hang out with dad at a boring old car show :sleep: )

The only possible car events able to attend would be all on June 26, and probably only in the evening:

which one of these in the evening would be the best one for old muscle cars?

9:00 am Rides & Coffee – Tampa
Temple Terrace
9:00 am Seminole City Center Benefit Car & Truck Show
Seminole
11:00 am Treble Makers Cruise In
Wesley Chapel
5:00 pm Dunedin Cruise-In & “Campfire”
Dunedin
5:00 pm Holiday FL Cruise In
Holiday
6:00 pm Integrity Tire’s Muscle & Classic Car Cruise In
New Port Richey

·
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Arrived in Tampa Monday night, drive to Orlando in the rain.
Spent the week inside the convention center listening to the lightning storms outside while watching endless volleyball games.
Drive back to Tampa on Saturday, geez I-4 traffic is bad.
Get to Clearwater Beach about 4:30, not even there 20 minutes and a big lightning storm with pouring rain kicks in.
Wake up Sunday morning, back to the beach by 1pm.
Right now I'm staying under the shade while everyone else is in the Gulf
We fly out tonight.

.... I need a vacation.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Ahhh ! Florida in the summertime ! Hot & Humid or Thunderstorms daily . Winter is more livable , dry & hot one day & cold the next , run your A/C one day & heater the next day . Snowbirds leave March 15 & return Nov 15 .

·
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Born & raised in Florida , 76 years & counting , worked outdoors all my life , gonna die here too .
para-phrasing John Mellencamp, are we?

"Well I was born in a small town Florida
And I can breathe in a small town Florida
Gonna die in this small town Florida
And that's probably where they'll bury me "

so, we WERE going to look at a couple schools but by the weekend the daughter was like ...
"no, I don't want to go to school here"
"why not?"
"the weather would make my hair all frizzy, plus it rains too much"....... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
It usually don't rain nov-may , monsoon season june - oct plus hurricanes , if you don't like the weather in fla , wait 5 minutes it will change . should I write songs ? LOL

·
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It usually don't rain nov-may , monsoon season june - oct plus hurricanes , if you don't like the weather in fla , wait 5 minutes it will change . should I write songs ? LOL
here we are in the Orange County ConvCenter, hearing several thousands of people screaming while 100 games are being played and whistles are being blown and I'm hearing the thunder AND the RAIN over THAT. and then the Thursday evening storm took out the hotel internet and a couple cell phone towers so we had reduced cell service for the remainder of our time in Orlando.

we made it back alive but didn't get to go to any car shows :(

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 6
1,546 Posts
Sorry I missed you. I was recuperating from surgery and neglected to keep up with things. I hope you enjoyed your trip.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts