El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working a 68 and I have most of the trim from the bed and both front and rear bumpers. The trim is pitted and both bumpers have some dings and pitting. My question is whether it is better to just buy replacement pieces or to have the originals restored? Not sure how much more expensive restoring the originals would be.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My experience with the re-pop bumpers was good. For the bed trim have the corner cast pieces re-chromed because the after markets fit like *ss. The rails are workable with a little polishing and the tailgate top molding is an absolute piece of s*it. It's too short and narrower at the rear than front. Unfortunately it may be your only choice. And above all, use the original clips. Rechroming bumpers will be around $600 in my experience (plus shipping if not local) whereas you could find a deal for a pair on-line. Won't take much searching

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I've been looking local for parts. I found aftermarket bumpers for about $200 a piece. Might be the best route to take. Thanks for the info on the trim pieces, fitment is really my biggest concern on the aftermarket stuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts