El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Trim codes are located on the cowl tag and breaks down if you have a code book for what interior trim or exterior trim came as an option on your car. For example, my 70 Elky SS 396 has the trim code of 756 meaning it has the black bucket seat option instead of the stock bench seat.

As to your question about sour cream..... I guess the experiation date means that after that date, it turns to penicillin. :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Like theelcaminofactory said, its under the driverside wiper area, just to the left of the driverside hood hinge.

I have seen some tags not painted and be the original color alluminum, yet others I have seen have been painted the semi flat black with the color of the engine compartment.

Might be a little difficult to see but it should be there pop rivited on.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
If you've got any trim codes you want decoded, just let me know the codes and the year of your Elky/GMC.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a small hole next to the brake booster about the right size for a pop rivet...........no tag.........Grasping for straws here: Does GM have a site where I could punch in the entire vin code and come up with the assembly info on my elky???????? 1D80U7D46110 I saw the model code break-down on the necoa site. It says it's a 77classic. Does't say whether it is an SS or not. I'm more interested in knowing wheter I'm running posi or not.

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
Southern;

There are several ways to confirm whether you have a posi or not.
1.) Find the build sheet
2.) Check for the posi tag attached to the diff. cover
3.) Jack her up and spin the wheels, if they both go the same direction, it's a posi. Only problem with this method is that if the diff. is tired the opposite tire may not spin.
4.) Check for the code on the front of the pass. side axle tube, you may need a wire brush to find it.
5.) Pull the diff. cover and do a physical inspection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey guys, this is my first post here. is it odd that mine is bolted on instead of rivited? as in, i just removed it to get a better look at the codes. and also, where would i look for a build sheet. it appears that many changes have taken place over my camino's life and would like to know how she started out. thanks

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
GM didn't keep records so there is not a web site you can go to to find out if you have an original SS. This is prevalent throughout the Chevrolet line of vehicles. Some years they did and some they didn't and your year they didn't. Now a clue is that most SS Elkys were a Custom Model. That will be reflected in the VIN. I would say, with some amount of certainty, that if your truck doesn't identify out to be a Custom Model then it is not an SS either. Just my best guess.

Here is a good site to help reference; http://www.chevelles.com/shop/ss_ident.html

They only way to tell what your truck had from the factory besides the Cowl Tag and VIN is to locate a Build Sheet. If you have one in your truck it can literally be anywhere and you could have more than one or none at all. Yeah it sucks don't it.

I found one in my 76 in the Door Panel on the driver side inside glued to the thing. I've heard that some are on top of the gas tank some under the seats and headliners. So They can be anywhere at all. Mine was badly weathered but all the important stuff was intact.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts