El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of a button is supposed to be on the trip odometer reset? It looks to be threaded.

And how does it reset? Push it in? Pull it out? Turn it?

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
My 86 has a tiny Knob with a even smaller screw that holds it on.To reset I have to push in & turn clockwise till all the zeros line up.Also a had a 87 that the knob just screwed on to the shaft.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
My 86 has a tiny Knob with a even smaller screw that holds it on.To reset I have to push in & turn clockwise till all the zeros line up.Also a had a 87 that the knob just screwed on to the shaft.
If your threads are on the inside of the shaft,you need the knob & screw.If your threads are on the outside of the shaft you need the knob with the threads inside it.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Mine screws on, but it's just about worn out. The plastic piece down by the numbers is broken, and the odometer doesn't turn easily. But then, dat sukker be gettin' OLD!!!:poke:

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Mike
I would try OD Showtime. I bought a signal arm for my 78 from him. Real nice part and extremely fair price.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sometimes the original one may work after slightly turning it, and then pushing in and clockwise. This allows a different engagement of the mechanism.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The button was missing when I got the car I put a chrome, possibly metal on it from the salvage yard. as far as turning it doesn't you can push pull twist while in push or pull it just turns but the odometer numbers stay still, they haven't changed since I got the car. I believe it's was threaded at the end.
. Now you can't go over 45 it starts screeming at you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts