El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
check out the video from home base below - i can hardly believe this thing is still hangin' around and hasn't made landfall - it's about 80 miles west of Cedar Key, so those folks are getting pounded with wind and rain (the worst place to be is east of a tropical storm or hurricane). the tides are still so high here that on Madeira Beach (5mi south of here) they get water over the streets at high tide.

i took the elky to high ground sunday right about noon, when the power went out - when i was walking back the gusts were so high (about 55mph) i thought i was gonna get knocked down. the next day i went to check on it and saw one of those tall advertising signs blown down and the roof of the building below it was all over the road - 20ft from where i had been walking. there are quite a few roofs gone around here as well as trees knocked down.

this is the most water i've seen out here since the 'no name storm' in '93. i measured 16" in the yard. i've ridden out hurricanes right here that didn't have this much water!

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Glad you posted, was wondering how you guys on the coast were doing.:beer:

Here in the middle is no problem, just wet.

Some tornados around winter haven and mulberry with some damage but nothing at my house.

I keep having to drain the pool though:dontknow:

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
5,817 Posts
Ed , Been thinking about what weather you others have been getting this past week . We got our share here in the Fl. Keys but you others got most of the wind and rain . My friend in Gainesville is dancing as they have been is a very long dry spell but I`m sure others are having flooding problems . The good news is that everything is so beautifully lush and green looking . You are right as tropical storm Debbie has had more rain than some of the hurricanes we have seen . As big of a pain as it was , it sure is fun going for a bike ride when it`s raining and howling , just watch out for crashing signs ! :poke:

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
I was wondering how you West coast guys were handling the storm. Glad it didn't come into the house and the Elky is riding on high ground.
I checked the website for the Santa Fe River near my north FL house and it went from barely navigable 3 weeks ago to 7 ft. higher. I guess I'll go kayaking this weekend :smileyb:
I was hoping the storm would go to Texas so we would have a Debbie Does Dallas 2012.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I had a 90 minute ride home this afternoon from a jobsite( shuda been 40 minutes) in pouring rain & black skies. Pulled approx 40 plus mating frogs from my swimming pool between last night & this morning.
Guess it's a good time to be a frog.:poke:

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I had a 90 minute ride home this afternoon from a jobsite( shuda been 40 minutes) in pouring rain & black skies. Pulled approx 40 plus mating frogs from my swimming pool between last night & this morning.
Guess it's a good time to be a frog.:poke:

I'm having the frog issues also.

I've got 'frog flinging' down to a science.:secret:

The only hard part is deciding which neighbors yard gets them.

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
a neighbor and i went out to the beach today with my 100' tape - the gulf still hasn't settled down just yet, but we estimate 60-70 yrds of beach washed away.

there were probably 20 turtle nests along our stretch of beach, the people who monitor and rope off those nests were out this morning - it looks like they all washed away.

it's a sad neighborhood over here BUT it coulda been a full blown hurricane and much worse than it is!

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,625 Posts
I don't envy you guys at all. Back in 2004, I was visiting friends in Orlando when Hurricane Charley hit the area with 130 mph winds. Really scary. Those folks who say there's a great calm when the eye of the hurricane passes over you must have never really sat through one, 'cause I sure as hell don't remember any "calm". I've never seen such devastation. I could understand the trees, utility poles and roofs, but the walls around our friend's community were blown over and they were only about 8 feet tall. Of course when you needed relief, including light, power, air conditioning and a good meal, you could always drive over to Disney, where it seemed like nothing bad ever occurred.
I hope you all stay out of harm's way.

Bill

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,105 Posts
I am about 10 miles from the gulf coast. Luckily I live at a high elevation(for florida) approx 100 ft. The rain was so intense that my 34x20 pool actually was spilling over the edge onto my lanai deck. There is an overflow relief drain which is 1" diameter. It actually was shooting water up about 4" due to the force. Yesterday I pulled 5 frogs out, 1 dead, 4 survivors. We had some wind gusts around. 55-55 mph that broght down all kinds of tree debris, but no damage. The good news us that we are no longer in a drought condition. The aquifers that run underneath of most of Florida have all been declining until Debby came along. That's the good news.
The bad news is that the extreme conditions prevented me from preparing one of my 64's for inspection by a prospective buyer. I never bothered to open the garage during the storm. The wjnds would have blown rain all the way into the garage.:dontknow

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
5,817 Posts
I`ve been helping and in communication with Cheri that is organizing the upcoming Lake City , Fl. to Key West Power Cruise . Lake City is north central Fl. near the Fl/Ga. border . She said her cars are fine but there is so much water that her husband ; who has an airboat , has been helping the National Guard rescue people that have been stranded . When it rains , it pours !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.