El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got 2 problems

1.) my back 2 barrells havent been opening up at all. Me and Dad were reving it up to 4,200 rpms and they werent opening at all. Then Dad oiled it and WD-40'd the linkage for the back 2 and it takes almost 3,200 rpms to crack it a bit. At 4,000 rpms it barely opened at all. I probably couldnt even slide a quarter in the opening.... At least it opens a tad bit now. I have been running with out the back 2 barrels all that i have owned the car...

Of course by the back 2 opening it caused another problem....

2.) when the back 2 barely open like i said.....my idle sticks....GREAT! I let off at 3,800 rpms and the idle sticks around 2,400. We try to kick it down but it sticks. Dad had to manually push the linkage back. He greased that up too and havent had a problem since.

My 2 questions are....why arent they opening all the way? And why did my idle stick?

Thanks guys

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
im guessing its a quadrajet??? sounds like the air valve door spring is too tight there is a adjustment on pass side of carb small allen wrench loosens the jam nut then loosen the screw1/4 turn and see if it helps dont go to far or it will bog when u punch it

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks Woody. Dad said " that spring is pushing too hard so its forcing it shut", we didnt know if it was a mechanical problem or an adjustment. And yes its a quad. Im due for a new one, just making this one last....

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Since that stuff is vacuum and load controlled, just revving the engine probably won't open the secondaries. Look it up.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,958 Posts
Another reason to just buy that Mountain Carb & be done with carb problems !!!

·
Premium Member
5,899 Posts
Like Mike said, Just opening the throttle and revving it up in park the secondaries are not going to do much if anything. As the engine calls for more air when under a load they should open but it is tough to ride under the hood and watch. LOL
You should hear them come open when you punch it and stay in it.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup another reason for me to order it! Need to send ardell an email hear pretty soon... But of course i always have to deal with one unhappy or uncertain person holding me back!

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh 464elky: we couldnt hear the secondaries, thats why we checked it out closer

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Don't expect your secondaries to open by revving the motor in neutral with no load on it.Motor must be under load with sufficient vacuum to open them up.

·
Registered
929 Posts
If every member of ECC would donate 1 cent to Brandon, he could finally have the rebuilt quadrajet of his dreams :poke: You should hear them open, especially with an open air cleaner.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Most carbs are vacuum secondary versions,they must flow some air through the carb before the secondaries open.
I doubt the car would sustain highway speeds without the secondaries.
Whats the highest obtainable speed you can hit?:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Well entering the highway today i gave it a lot of gas. I was merging and hit about 4300rpms, accelerating from 45-75 and Dad never hears the secondaries. He said it would be obvious cause him amd his buddies would floor thier cars and hear the sound....to this point i still dont know what that sound is. I imagine if they started to open in park the would open in drive cause i scared Dad. He said speed up a bit......so i did. Next i hear him say "expletive deleted"! I scared him a bit but he said he didnt hear the sound of the secondaries.....

Oh mike, its just a matter of time! I got a $300 carburetor fund! Just waiting on mom and Dad. Dad said he wanted a big gain if i bought it. He doesnt beleive i can get 15mpg +, i get 9-10 mpg now.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sinister: i have got to 83mph, havent topped it out.....well cause there is no reason too. With my set up grandpa said probably around 125-135. I got 2.41's so it will go a while. I dont need to go any faster. Like i said i think they open up a tad bit on driving but dad hasnt heard the suction sound of the secondaries yet.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Most carbs are vacuum secondary versions,they must flow some air through the carb before the secondaries open.
I doubt the car would sustain highway speeds without the secondaries.
Whats the highest obtainable speed you can hit?:dontknow:

sure it will, i have a camaro with the secondaries disabled, ((quadrajet)runs pretty good though a little short on low end power)
when properly adjusted the secondaries should open within a couple of seconds(although i like mine to open within a half second or so),just stomping the gas(unless you have almost all the pressure off the flap spring) it won't be instant the little vacuum pot on the side of the carb has a lot to do with how fast the flaps open if it is bad, no secondary. there are aftermarket ones available which are adjustable. probably carb cleaner would be better than wd 40 on the linkage and such, you want it clean as can be.but a word of advice, when(if) you adjust the flap pressure, be careful the little lock screw can end up in the carb if your not.

for the idle sticking, two words Choke Linkage .......... GL

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,958 Posts
You might not hear them open with exhaust being loud ?? :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We had the windows up....but you got a point Steve.

Either way the carb has got to go and i think i am lacking performance cause of it

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
with the stock 305 and stock air cleaner you wont hear the secondaries open and only reving it to that small a rpm in park you wont see the secondaries open, the bottom will open but the top may not. this is normal, if the engine isnt pulling enough air through the secondaries ot overcome the the vacuum holding the secondary air valve closed you wont see the top valve open up.they are made this way to keep the motor from bogging on acceleration.the top valve should be tightly closed at anything short of wide open throttle when you are just revving it in park.with the engine off try to open the top air valve by hand,if it opens it is functioning normally. with the choke open fully and the engine completely warmed up and turned off . open the throttle fully and see if the rear throttle blades are opening . if not check the secondary lock out cam on the pass side od the carb to be sure its not frozen and keeping them from opening.it is there to keep the secondaries from opening when the engine is cold.it is a small cam on the pass side base plate .it engages the pin sticking out of the secondary shaft to stop them from opening unless the choke is fully open.most people dont drive agressively enough to keep the secondaries free but a little lube on the cross shaft in the baseplate once in a while will keep them free.if you think they dont open, drive it around the block without the air cleaner and accelerate from a stop with your foot on the floor about half way through first gear you should hear the secondaries start to open and roar.

·
Supporting Member
4,527 Posts
You might want to check to be sure that the secondary butterfly valves are not sticking. When I got my Elky, the PO had tightened down the air horn screws enough to distort the air horn, and caused the secondary butterfly's to stick. Try CCC's suggestions above, and if the butterfly's don't move freely, check for any interference with the air horn.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts