El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 86 SS 4.3L has been giving me some problems lately. i found a few vacuum hoses that were really flexible and replaced and vacuum line that could give me problems.

now i noticed if i floor it from a dead stop, the car lags a good 3 seconds before it seems like the throttle sees any response at all. ive eliminated to potential for vacuum leak or flexible line.

today i decided to unplug the MAF and see whats up. with the MAF unplugged it ran better then it ever has, other then the fact it stalled out at lower RPM's (didnt choke out or idle weird, just stalled)

realizing replacing the intake on a EF TBI for something allowing more air is difficult without heavy modding.

im at a real loss here and cant figure this out. someone mentioned something to me about timing and maybe TDC is off...

everyone told me to run copper plugs for now (motorcraft being the only ones available, and i have a bad taste for anything ford related eeeegghh) but after looking at it, spark plugs look like a challenge and a half on that car (plugs are surrounded by exhaust manifold)

sofar ive diagnosed MAF and vacuum and dont appear to be the problem. anytihng anyone else can think of before i rip into my hood and fight those 6 plugs off for crappy for replacements?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Have you checked the timing or advance on dist (don't know if that one is all comp cotrolled with advance or not) Have you checked fuel filter?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Can't call your problem, but if you replace your plugs, it may improve throttle response, or at least, you'll know they are new. If it ran better with the maf disconnected, maybe your maf is faulty.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not getting any codes to throw a CEL unless i unplug the MAF(MAP maybe) my next thing is my dad is coming over with a timing light. the 4.3L i have was a crate motor from GM with tourqe cams. dunno exactly what cams they used as i didnt order the motor.

fuel filters look crystal clear. replaced them less then 5k miles ago. everyone tells me to run copper plugs but the oly avail copper plugs are motorcraft :dontknow:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have a feeling my TDC is off and i have a timing issue.... the car was involved in a small front end accident (barely caused damage) but possibly the impact threw off timing?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MAF ?? OR MAP ?? does a 86 4.3 have a maf ??
how long has it been sence a fuel filter,, air filter,, tuneup??
any check engine codes??

maybe the cat ??
check all the electrical connections on all the sensors..:texas:
imim fiarly sure that its a MAF not a MAP, however im still learning about this car so i could be wrong...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i cant find TDC in my bible maunal... any clue what it is?

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
At TDC #1 cylinder piston is at the top of it's compression stroke and timing mark should be at 0*.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
There should be a single gray wire by the master cylinder, SPOUT wire that tell the computer to run the timing, disconnect that wire and set the timing to zero while the engine is running,, when you plug it back in the computer will take the timing over around 10 deg, BTDC,, also the placard on the radiator support or bottom of the hood should have instructions on how to set timing,, Matty man

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found TDC on the fan belt sticker under the hood along with spark gap. my timing light is kinda old and its hard as hell to see the marks on the balancer considering where they are. it looks to me 2 deg retarded but its hard to tell.

im almost ready to bring it to the garage and let them deal with it (more of a fan on learning and doing stuff on my own)

but thanks for the help guys thats why i love this forum :You_Rock:

also what should i clean the MAF with? i know carb cleaner is what NOT to use lol (WD-40?) :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
It could be a bunch of stuff, but if you unplugged a sensor and it ran better, that's probably it.
MAF Mass Air Flow Sensor/ don't think it's this, take a pic.
MAP Manifold Air Pressure
:texas::beer:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts