El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im seriously considering doing this to my elky,just to protect the bed a bit more,and give it a cleaner look,anybody else done this? ive done this spray on stuff before wit ha friends truck,it turned out awesome and was tougher then nails! it rocked. wutcha think it would be like in an elky?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
On the 80 I have I added a hard top for the bed and covered the inside of the bed with a Carpeted Bed Liner from Honest Charly. I don't carry anything in the these trucks other than me and family/friends.

I have a 93 Silverado Extended Cab, stepside that I use for a hauler.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just bought a tub of Herculiner paint on bedliner for my truck, i havent put it on yet because i'm waiting for a clear sunny day so i can get a clean application.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I saw an el at the super chevy show here in memphis that had something like a metal flake mixed in the spray in liner. It looked great. I'm curious how they went about it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Bedliner also works great underneath
I just finished a Jeep CJ7 rotisserie restoration and we sprayed the whole underneath floorpan with Gator Boxliner.
After sandblasting the floorpan underneath we sprayed it with PPG DP40 followed by Gator 2 part Bedliner applied with a shutz gun. This stuff is as tough as nails and should take lots of off road punishment.
I plan to do the same to my El Camino once its up on the rotisserie. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Herculiner paint

Herculiner paint is good if you don't want to pay alot and feel like doing some of your own work. i spent last weekend putting one in. it was quick easy and looks awesome. pics comming soon.

·
1,867 Posts
The stuff you buy in cans at most car parts stores works very well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
How much would that bed liner cost, either the pro way or do-it-yourself? My bed's got so many dings in it, and then scratches what with playing golf and going from neighborhood to neighborhood looking for stuff being thrown out.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I put Herculiner in my bed ('74) when the stuff first came out, about 3 or 4 years ago. It was an easy application. When first installed, it was shiny and felt slippery, although the rubber particles in it made it like 36 grit sandpaper and nothing slid around in the bed. However, now it has "faded" and colorwise looks like black primer, which would be OK except when I got some trans oil on the bed about a year ago, the stuff soaked into the liner and I haven't been able to get it out. I'm in Florida, but my El Camino is garaged and only driven once a month or so, so I'd be concerned about longevity, especially it the car is outside a lot. The stuff still stops anything from sliding and hasn't chipped or peeled.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I saw an el at the super chevy show here in memphis that had something like a metal flake mixed in the spray in liner. It looked great. I'm curious how they went about it.
I plan on useing some of that herculiner.. if i put some of the paint/glitter stuff that they put in some paint jobs in it would it work to make it look like that

·
Director Region 13 (TX) Emeritus
601 Posts
do it yourself liner

:D Some time this past summer I wrote an article on how I sprayed in a tinted liner for my 83 El Camino. I think it is still in the archive file of past articles. I got the liner kit from Eastwood for $147.00 including the undercoating spray gun. The kit is very easy to use and the results turned out great. The urethane coating is very durable and you tint it with any good automotive paint to the color you want. My EL Camino is dark brown metallic which is what I used it matches great. Check it out you won't be sorry. Harald K

·
Director Region 13 (TX) Emeritus
601 Posts
the full story on spray in liner

The article is under body and frame ( uper right side of the home page) it will give you detailed instructions on how to get the spray in liner kit and how to use it. I've had mine in for some time now and it still looks good as new. Harald K

·
1,867 Posts
I sprayed mine in & love the durablity because I haul alot.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have herculiner in mine and it faded like a flat black. Then i masked it all off and sprayed gloss black engine enamel in it and it has looked good ever since. It is easy to apply as well. And only cost me a $100.00 Not too bad.
I do get complements on the car often.

·
Participating Mmber
126 Posts
Bedliner

I've used the Eastwood kit on my 60, Roman Red tint, and on the 82 that I'm now working on, Chrome Yelloooooow tint (WOW). I like the results that I'm getting. It may not be stock, but the finish looks great and covers up a lot of ugly. In the 82 I used Kitty Hair to cover up a lot of the dents. 8)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts