El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I run true dual exhaust on my 79 El Camino with the stock transmission crossmember? I really don't want to spend 200+ on the double hump crossmember. I plan on doing true dual from the manifolds, 2 1/4" pipe, no cats, and flowmaster super 10s or cherry bomb extreme mufflers. Just for background info, I have 2" drop spindles in front and 1" lowering springs all around. Will it work with the stock crossmember and still have acceptable ground clearance?

And aside from that, opinions on mufflers? I want the loudest muffler I can find with good sound for a good price... CB extreme or FM super 10?

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,804 Posts
Jegster 41050 - Jegster Double Hump G-Body Transmission Crossmember Details

Note: Crossmember is designed for 1978-88 G-Body that was originally equipped with a SB-Chevy. Does not fit ANY Cutlass Supreme models or El Camino. Engine and transmission swaps may require some fitment of all items.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
TJ,

You got 3 options:

1- modify existing (not really recommended for a number of reasons)
2- buy aftermarket (lots of $$)
3- get the jyard x-member like 87next2last recommends

if you got $$ and just want it to work, do #2. if you like making it work for you, do #3.

if you decide on #3, you can either go there yourself and try to find a good one (total cost including entrance fee, part, gas, etc, ?), or, I can sell you one. Take a look at my thread here
http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=110778

good luck whichever route you choose!

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
[B said:
Note:[/B] Crossmember is designed for 1978-88 G-Body that was originally equipped with a SB-Chevy. Does not fit ANY Cutlass Supreme models or El Camino. Engine and transmission swaps may require some fitment of all items.
Jack said his fit fine.. IIRC.
I have read sometimes a little lite floorboard shaping is needed, not much..
I believe it depends on how worn/saggy the body bushings are..

I know,, its odd they fit
gn, regal, monty, Malibu but not elky, grandprix, cutlass but not cutlass supreme??

:texas:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Jack said his fit fine.. IIRC.
I have read sometimes a little lite floorboard shaping is needed, not much..
I believe it depends on how worn/saggy the body bushings are..

I know,, its odd they fit
gn, regal, monty, Malibu but not elky, grandprix, cutlass but not cutlass supreme??

:texas:
Can we get some user input on if this works?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Yes you can. All my toys have true dual exhaust with factory crossmembers,With Headers and Manifolds. Any muffler shop that does custom pip bending can bend a round the crossmember. Now If you have headers it my be cheaper to buy a mandrel bent dual exhaust kit and double hump crossmember from Jegs or Summit. On my 78 El Camino I considered this but I wanted 2.25 pips.

Doug

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Jegster 41050 - Jegster Double Hump G-Body Transmission Crossmember Details

Note: Crossmember is designed for 1978-88 G-Body that was originally equipped with a SB-Chevy. Does not fit ANY Cutlass Supreme models or El Camino. Engine and transmission swaps may require some fitment of all items.
Oh, but it does fit. I have one on my 1980 Elkie. I informed Jegs and sent them a picture of mine. They said they would change the ad, but haven't done it.
There was no need to modify the floor either.

Jack

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
exhaust.jpg YES.. Magnaflo's give a good mellow rumble then a good loud sound once you hit the go pedal..

·
Registered
106 Posts
On my 82 I had the muffler shop shape the down pipes from the engine so both go to the passenger side, took off the cat and put a X cross over under the hump in the crossmember then the drivers side pipe crosses under the driveshaft back to the left side. I did this because the exhaust was already run this way due to the stock single cat feeding dual tail pipes. Works OK but not as clean as a dual hump crossmember would allow. However, since both down pipes were close it made installing the X pipe easy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts