El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got bored tonight and was flipping through some old paperwork that was in the el camino. I found some paperwork with what seemed to be the original owners address and name from when the car was delivered to him. After looking his name and address up on whitepages, I found the number and decided whats the worst that could happen. I bought the car from a dealer thinking it had 130k miles on it. The original owner told me he took immaculate care of it, and sold the car 5 years ago to buy a miata. Said it never had the valve covers off and only had a carb rebuild. Then he told me he sold it with 260k miles on it. That was 5 years ago. Unless the guy put more then a hundred thousand in those 5 years, my cruck has nearly 350 thousand miles on it, on the original engine, AND transmission, the transmission had work done but never a rebuild.

His only secret was an oil change every 2500 miles, and he kept it out of the salt and snow and always in the garage. :beer:

·
ZERO MPG
15,379 Posts
I had 300k + on my 305 I'm the original owner and it was still running good before I swapped the 350. The only thing replaced on the block was one freeze plug against the fire wall $200.00 fix for a $1.00 plug.:secret:

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had 300k + on my 305 I'm the original owner and it was still running good before I swapped the 350. The only thing replaced on the block was one freeze plug against the fire wall $200.00 fix for a $1.00 plug.:secret:
Copying paint colors and now mileage, whats next! :poke:

I'm thinking it needs a timing chain, I have sporadic starting and it has the occasional idling issue, also a weird noise that i'm thinking is also slack in the timing chain.

·
ZERO MPG
15,379 Posts
Copying paint colors and now mileage, whats next! :poke:

I'm thinking it needs a timing chain, I have sporadic starting and it has the occasional idling issue, also a weird noise that i'm thinking is also slack in the timing chain.
Mine was starting to sound like yours and I changed just about everything except the timing chain and from what I'm told the gear is plastic. Also maybe the control module behind the dist. half under the cap.

YOU WANT COLORS HERE YOU GO LOOK IN COLOR GALLERIES

http://gtcarlot.com/colors/Infiniti/G/2009/Amethyst+Graphite/

·
Past Texas Director
6,187 Posts
Mine was a v-8 350 and this is what my timing gear ended up looking like in the bottom of my oil pan! It was shot when I bought it, and that was the first thing that had to be fixed.*the timing gear.
This is what was in the bottom of my oil pan 3 years later-obviously nobody had taken it off to clean it out.

:dontknow:

I was told those brownish looking large pieces were my timing gear-plastic all busted up.

·
ZERO MPG
15,379 Posts
If you have a V8, you don't have a plastic timing gear.
You sure I think the shop even said it was plastic and members here.:dontknow::dontknow:

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
in 70s GM put a plastic COATING on the cam gears to hold the noise down. When it gets old, it gets brittle and then comes off in chunks, thus making it even worse than a steel gear woulda worn.

But that's AFTER the warranty runs out, of course.

·
ZERO MPG
15,379 Posts
Ahhh it's nothing a little duct tape can't fix!
:poke:

I was at Big Lots yesterday and they had all kinds of different patterns of duct tape but cheap tape not professional grade.:poke:

·
ZERO MPG
15,379 Posts
in 70s GM put a plastic COATING on the cam gears to hold the noise down. When it gets old, it gets brittle and then comes off in chunks, thus making it even worse than a steel gear woulda worn.

But that's AFTER the warranty runs out, of course.

There's some kind a gear in there that's plastic. I was told more that once that it could be the problem. I quit smok'n years ago.:secret:

·
Registered
527 Posts
The timing gear on the camshaft of my '78 Chevy pickup (that I bought new) was ALUMINUM with plastic teeth. They usually didn't make it to 100k without either the teeth disentigrating or the aluminum breaking. I replaced mine with steel gears when I replaced the cam.

·
ZERO MPG
15,379 Posts
Thought I was losing it that's what they told me was probably the problem but to have it done right it was in my interest just to buy a 350 crate why fix a 300,000 305 that was a little tiered .
thanks

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
so i got bored tonight and was flipping through some old paperwork that was in the el camino. I found some paperwork with what seemed to be the original owners address and name from when the car was delivered to him. After looking his name and address up on whitepages, i found the number and decided whats the worst that could happen. I bought the car from a dealer thinking it had 130k miles on it. The original owner told me he took immaculate care of it, and sold the car 5 years ago to buy a miata. Said it never had the valve covers off and only had a carb rebuild. Then he told me he sold it with 260k miles on it. That was 5 years ago. Unless the guy put more then a hundred thousand in those 5 years, my cruck has nearly 350 thousand miles on it, on the original engine, and transmission, the transmission had work done but never a rebuild.

His only secret was an oil change every 2500 miles, and he kept it out of the salt and snow and always in the garage. :beer:

like a rock!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.