El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
While it is a valid sound test between different mufflers, Running off a modded engine with no tranny to slow the up & down revs helps to make them ALL sound better than the average customers car will.:secret: Eh, salesmen.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had a set on my eighty five with a 454. They were so loud I took them off. When I got out of the car my ears were ringing. I put a set of Dynomax VT's on it but they are not much better. I have the transmission out right now, and I think I will undercoat the floor pan, maybe that will help some. I have a set of super 44's on my mercury with a 383. I haven't started the engine yet, but the inside of the car will be well insulated.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The flowmasters all sound great but I still like the old school sound of glass packs & chambered bullets. If you have a Gen 1-3, it just doesnt sound right to me with the FMs. I have a set of American thunders that originally came out in '69 (yes, they are the reason the 70s had resonators behind the rear bumper) that are going on my '69 SS 427--my neighbors are going to love me!

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
Flowmasters are nice but I've heard people complain about a steady drone at cruising speed and you have to yell to talk.
I run Dynomax turbo mufflers behind my Big Block. Nice rumble at idle and not too loud at WOT.
The old saying goes "If it's too loud your too old."
Guess I'm old. Now where did I put my walker?:nanawrench:

·
Registered
224 Posts
i have just stock mufflers and pipe on my cruck. Its nice and quiet in the cabin but outside has a nice low rumble, and at WOT its got a wonderful sound imo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts