El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now i have an 86 4.3L V6 throttle body fuel injected. i was thinking of swapping for a GN motor. my thoughts are this, by doign the swap am i asking for trouble later with older turbo technology, or hell its chevy its made to last, as long as i find a decent motor i should be ok?

obviously bolt on is cheaper but im thinking long term. i want HP lol.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If all you want is more HP period then get a v8 crate motor and build it. If you're wanting to keep some mpg's as well then i'd do the buik motor I think that'd be cool.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I *love* different motors, V6's and straight sixes. It is a careful line to tread though... If you want easy horsepower for the money a well chosen and thoughtfully set up V8 is pretty much the simplest, easiest, cheapest way penny for penny over most V6 and L6 engines until you get into much more modern engines with variable valve timing and sophisticated computer controls.

Now... that doesn't mean you couldn't build a *killer* V6, naturally aspirated, turbo or supercharged, carbureted or fuel injected... etc etc.
It's just that with out some *very* careful planning and building, dollar for dollar you'd still get more from a V8 for the investment.

Personally I keep this in mind and use it to keep my plans and expectations in line... If I want a 6, then I'm going to have to work for it and do as much or more planning, research, time and effort to get what I want with that engine, whatever that goal may be.

I'm sorry that's not more helpful with parts lists and such. Just throwing a little encouragement out there, whichever way you go! :You_Rock:

For what little technical help I can lend I will say that if you could somehow find a complete turbo six in resonable shape then you'd have a great start, even with the complete engine and everything else you'd likely have as much punch for the money as buying bolt ons for your Chevy v6... If the budget allows after that, then rebuilding and upgrades, bolt ons etc for the Buick based motor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V6_engine would just keep you out ahead of the stock Naturally Aspirated Chevy 6.

Hopefully I haven't stuck my foot in my mouth... I am not very versed in engine lore, but there are *lots* of good sites out there, including plenty from the diehard GN crowd.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool thx guys. I was trying to steer away from going the V8 route since it seems like thats what 70% of the el camino's have and i think it would be cool to have a NA or Turbo'd 6cyl. Not only do i was SOME gas millage since she is currently my daily driver, but i think it would be cool to turn some heads with that turbo spools up.

But $ for $ i realize the route i wanna go isnt cheap so for now im just trying to find anything to help the car (mostly handling right now) just because i love to work on it!

Thanks for the insight guys!:You_Rock:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
if you have ever driven a gn you wouldnt even ask.that little v6 will out run most small blocks and some big blocks with some tweeking. old technoligy ? what do you think the v8 is ? brand new out of the box the gn was a second faster than the corvette and would get near 28 mpg. they were kicking mustang butt all over town.that little v6 has been around since the 60 s its solid and the turbo is a upgradeable part. you will have to learn how to make it launch to keep from going up in smoke but that could be fun as well

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
that may be true but the turbo will beat the na motor every time. i have a 84 z28 that i had a zz4 crate motor in with a 700 and 373 gears with 245/50/w 16 tires and my buddy with his stoch 87 t type would kill me at any red light we fought at. sure i cought him 3/8 to 1/2 mile later but the dance was over by then. and on an elco you want to be able to drive what you build not just go up in smoke.the stock turbo is very driveable and gets great milage that a comparable 350 wont

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
GN's were brutal fast and frankly I agree, everybody and their 3rd cousin has the dinosaur small block chevy in their hotrod, if you have the wherewithall to do that swap I wouldnt hesitate as there is almost no downside.

• Its lighter
  • Parts are readily available
  • makes as much power
  • its at least a bit more unique than a small block

·
Registered
532 Posts
i have to agree with the turbo buick crowd on this one, dem lil v6's are nasty! but it's not always about horsepower,it's been said before but horsepower sells motors, torque wins races.....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well after thinking about it and talking to more people im even more torn. finding a decent GN motor doesnt seem easy and im not looking to rebuild a motor in 20k miles. people who had GN's said the turbos caused alot of issues.

im starting to lean more toward the idea of a 350. because for $4500 i can have:

Chevrolet Performance 350ci/330HP HO Turn-Key Engine

Designed by GM Performance in-house engineers to provide maximum power for your hot rod dollar, you won't go broke finishing a project with this 350 HO Turn-Key crate engine. It's packed with all the features you need to get a reliable 330 horsepower and 380 ft/lbs of torque from a time-tested combination of new GM Performance Parts.

Note: Accessory components arrive unassembled for ease of installation.

SPECIFICATIONS
Bore/Stroke 4.000" x 3.480"
Maximum RPM 5500
Camshaft Hydraulic flat tappet (part #24502476)
Camshaft Duration @ .050" 212° Intake/222° Exhaust
Camshaft Lift .435" Intake/.460" Exhaust
Compression Ratio 9.1:1
Pistons Cast aluminum (part #12514101)
Connecting Rods Powdered metal (part #10108688)
Crankshaft Nodular iron (part #14088526)
Cylinder Heads Cast iron Vortec 64cc (part #12558060)
Valve Size 1.94" Intake/1.50" Exhaust
Flexplate 14" (part #14088765)
Rocker Arms Stamped steel 1.5:1 (part #10089648)
Water Pump Cast iron, long (part #88894341)
Ignition Timing 10° BTDC @ 700 RPM
Recommended Fuel 92 octane

at this point she wont be my daily anymore, but a lot of fun

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
how much do you think id be able to sell a 4.3L EFI crate motor with less then 35,000 on it?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Take a look at this before you make up your mind. This owner went the whole nine yards, crossed the end zone, spiked the ball and knocked down the goal posts:
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/features/0604htp_1984_chevy_el_camino_feature/viewall.html

As the Grand Camino is one of all time favorite cars and something i'd like to do before I leave this mortal coil, I'd say go for the Grand National V6 build. It may not be the absolute cheapest way to go but how boring would the world be if the answer to every build question is "drop a 350 in it"? You've already got the factory EFI fuel components which is one big item checked off the To Do list (you will have to change fuel pumps though).

Complete GN motors go for anywhere between $1200–2400 it seems:
http://www.searchtempest.com/results.php?search_string=grand+national+motor&category=8&Region=na&cityselect=zip&location=91604&maxDist=50000&region_us=1&srchType=&keytype=adv&minAsk=&maxAsk=&subcat=pta

1 - 18 of 18 Posts