El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pulling my turbo 400 out of my 85 el camino to have it rebuilt and I'm ordering a 2500 stall converter. I just finished upgrading my heads with brodix and a comp. roller cam and rockers. Also a high rise manifold and a new carb. the engine is doing just fine, but I'm not getting the power to the ground.....yet. Still thinking I would like to convert to efi. I'm waiting to find out more about the set up and how it works. And by the way I'm not worrying about gas milage....

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm sure you already are, but I would install at least a 34 element sprag in the trans. The TH400 is a great trans, but GM could have done a few more things and made it way better. Talk to your tranny builder, but there are about 5 or 6 little mods that you can do to a TH400 to help performance and efficiency. Like drilling a small hole in the direct drum which allows oil to bleed out under centrifugal force and preventing the clutch packs from locking up. You can find these mods online.

Not getting the power to the ground?

Where do you think you're losing it? Converter, Trans, Traction?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I will look up the modifications. I just finished pulling it out, and the oil is really dirty, don't smell, but it don't downshift like it should, and on cold days it wants to slip. I think when it is rebuilt and a new stall converter it will be a lot better. I have a posi rear, and wide tires on the back, traction isn't a problem now, maybe it will be after I finish.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Thanks for the info, I will look up the modifications. I just finished pulling it out, and the oil is really dirty, don't smell, but it don't downshift like it should, and on cold days it wants to slip. I think when it is rebuilt and a new stall converter it will be a lot better. I have a posi rear, and wide tires on the back, traction isn't a problem now, maybe it will be after I finish.
Please let us know how it runs after the rebuild?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts