El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me where the turn signal flasher is on my 87 Elky. I thought it would be in the fuse block like it is on my 78 Elky, but nope, not there. I need to change it to a heavy duty flasher in order to get the signal lights working on a utility trailor. Right now they blink at a very high speed. I'm sure I've got them grounded good so the only thing I can think of is the flasher. Any ideas. Thanks, Bob. :oops:

·
Banned
881 Posts
The OEM flasher can't handle the extra load and causes that problem. Replace it with a HD flasher. They're about $5-6 at any auto parts store. Both the turn signal flasher and the 4-way emergency flasher are located just above the emergency brake release handle. They both look the same, like a small round metal can. Turn a directional on and stick your head under the dash.

:mrgreen:

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that was the problem, I just couldn't find the flasher, actually it looks like there is a place for it on the fuse block, even has 2 slots for it, but it isn't there and I guess I didn't look far enough. Good idea to turn the signal on, that should help me to locate it. Thanks Ernie. :p

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That fixed it Ernie, man you just about got to be a contortionist to get your head up where you can see where the flasher plugs in. Fortunately those things don't go out often. Thanks, Bob. 8)

·
Banned
881 Posts
ElkyBob said:
... you just about got to be a contortionist to get your head up where you can see where the flasher plugs in
And hopefully you don't get a cramp while you're in that compromising position. BT, DT. :)

The only problem with the HD flasher is you lose the ability to sense if a bulb is out. The HD flasher will work even if there is a bulb out in the circut. The OEM flasher will not work if a bulb is out.

:mrgreen:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts