El Camino Central Forum banner

Turn Signal Lever

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  bugsyc 
#1 ·
Operates fine when signalling right, takes more pressure when signalling left. Feels like it is being forced. Signal comes on when pressed down, takes a extra effort to make it click to, "stay on," position, cancels fine. It works, but each time I use it I am afraid something inside is going to snap, by forcing it down. Any idea of what might be hanging up?
Thanks,
Don

#3 ·
Its something broken or bent in the turn signal canceling cam. Pull the steering wheel and the cover under the wheel and you will be able to get right to the cam.

#5 ·
Recently had this problem on my 78. My wife actually broke the signal arm off trying to put on the left signal. I call her "100 lbs of destruction!" It's amazing! One winter the driver's door on my 99 tahoe was frozen shut from an ice storm. What does she do? Rips the out side door handle off the door!

Anyway back to the problem. I took everything apart and thought the old dried up white grease on the signal cam might be the problem. Cleaned it all off with carb cleaner. Gently pried up the flat spring steel to give it less tension and re-greased it with white lithium grease. Putting it back together I noticed that the little pivot that the signal arm mounts in was also bent. It's a cheap cast piece. Squeezed it back toether tightly and it worked for a few weeks. Still had more resistance to the left but not nearly as bad as before. Then it started spreading again. When it spread the pin that holds it in place would slip out. Fixed it a few more times until the cast piece actually snapped.
So I dug out an old busted column I had and removed the pivot part and the signal cam. Cleaned up that cam and used it in my column. The newer, mid 80's pivot has a peened rivet holding it together rather than the pin. It's been in the column about a month and so far it works fine.
So you might want to change out the signal cam even though it probably looks fine. And be sure to check that little pivot assembly that the signal mounts in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.