El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Having some turn signal issues. Checked some past posts and it's given me some direction, but in my attempt to fix the problem I have a new problem..ha.

Initially the problem was that the rear right turn signal would not flash at all, otherwise everything else functioned.

Without any attempt at fixing that problem, a new one arose and when I turned on my lights, the turn signal indicator for the right side was dimly lit and neither the front/rear right side blinkers worked.

I replaced the front bulb and the front sidemarker bulb and checked the right side ground in the engine bay. That was a good step because the right front started to work again.

However, now my right turn signal blinks slower than my left??? and I still can't get the rear right to work either. Not sure what my next step is.

It seems like a bad ground in the feed wire? I'm honestly not even sure where all the grounds are. I bought a tail light socket to replace but haven't attempted that yet. Wire chassis was replaced a few years ago and we had no issues so I'm doubting breaks in the wire.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just had the same problem in my 79. It was a bad bulb or bad ground. I fix both at the same time. Check the rear bulb and make sure the socket is good. When I turned on the lights the dash turn signal indicator came on.
Tom

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Not real sure but if you used a 2057 and not an 1157 it is possible the flasher is getting a different load from one side to the other. Just a stab in the dark. The older 89-97 Chevy trucks were very sensitive to the bulb used.

Joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anytime an electrical problem seems weird - ground is most likely the cause!
Run a temp wire from known good ground to the socket or side of the bulb, to prove if grounded.
i see nothing wrong with adding a wire from frame to the rear lights

·
Registered
180 Posts
If you can't trace it down it could be the PCB behind the gauges. I replaced mine in my '84 when I first got it about 10 years ago because it was doing the same thing. Solved all my problems. I recently pulled it again to change all the dash bulbs to LED and painted the back side of the gauge bezel white and it really brightened it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts