El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My left turn signal wont turn off after I've made the turn, I was wondering how much of a pain it would be to get into the steering column and replace whatever piece is worn out, and how do I know which one it is?

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
If you're lucky, it's just a turn signal canceling spring on the switch. If not, then the switch itself is broken. You'll have to use a steering wheel puller to pull the wheel and replace. Not too hard a chore. Most parts houses will have either part.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I agree it is more than likely the canceling switch. I don't remember if you'll have to remove the (I can't think what it is called now) tensioner? It is under the piece the steering wheel mounts on. It has a clip, you remove the pressure and then take out a clip, it has spring tension on it. When you put it back on you'll have to have the tool.

Sorry my mind is drawing a blank as to what it is called. :? :oops: I guess the 60's ~70's time frame was WAY too good to me! Short term memory loss! :roll:

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think that GM called the plate a Shaft Lock. At least, the tool for compressing it is called the 'Shaft Lock Compressing Tool' I think that if the column is out of the car that part is the only thing that holds the steering shaft in, hence the name.

And unfortunately yes, the cancelling cam is underneath it...

·
Registered
83 Posts
There is another solution that hasn't been recommended, but first I need to know how old you are. If you are one of our "older citizens" you won't need to fix the blinker control 'cause it will probably be on most of the time anyway. Sorry I couldn't help myself...

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Hey................

That only works for little Old Blue Haired Ladies that you can't see more than the top of their head in the car (which is 2" from the steering wheel) and knuckles on the steering wheel, in Florida! :twisted: :lol: :lol:

IN THE FAST LANE DOING 29 Mph shooting your the finger for passing her. :lol:

·
Banned
881 Posts
ElkyPete said:
Sorry my mind is drawing a blank as to what it is called
You're talking about removing the lock ring. It's what locks the steering wheel in place when you shut off the ignition key. The turn signal switch is underneath it.

:mrgreen:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts