El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, my names Cash and I’m a new member to the El Camino community. I’ve been wanting one for about 15 years & finally found one 1979 V8 and bought it. Drove from Louisville KY to Virginia to pick her up.
I got the car home and took it off the dolly to drive. Turned the key and it just started clicking. Lights came on though. So I tried jumping it. Same result! The guy helping noticed that the positive terminal that cooks to battery was broken and there for wasn’t tight enough possibly. I replace the battery (old one was to small for Ellie) and the terminal!
Went and turned key and it fired right up. Drove it 10-15 miles no problem, she sounded great. Got to the BMV to register Ellie come back out to leave. Turn key and nothing! No click, lights anything. I get a jump and still nothing! 😭
Really put a damper on my day! Any help will be appreciated

·
Director, Region 2
1965 El Camino
634 Posts
No click, lights, anything. I would retrace my steps and check ALL connections.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I'd remove all the safety switches that keep the starter motor from spinning. You have to take a "make sure" moment before starting though.. Doing this will also make it possible to move the car with the starter if its in a dangerous spot..

Check all the connections at the starter and make sure the grounding to the engine and the frame are good. I usually run all new ground straps to the engine, frame and interior..

The new battery was a good thing to do. It appears that your not getting enough current to the starter. Just because your getting voltage doesn't mean enough electrons are flowing into the starter to over come the torque needed to spin the engine over. Once the starters Bendix engages, it uses all the current available and shuts everything off...

·
Registered
528 Posts
Read right through the no lights, sorry. With the bad battery terminal, you might want to check the starter end of the cable. No ground will do the same thing. My ground connection on my 79 is on the alternator bracket.
Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd remove all the safety switches that keep the starter motor from spinning. You have to take a "make sure" moment before starting though.. Doing this will also make it possible to move the car with the starter if its in a dangerous spot..

Check all the connections at the starter and make sure the grounding to the engine and the frame are good. I usually run all new ground straps to the engine, frame and interior..

The new battery was a good thing to do. It appears that your not getting enough current to the starter. Just because your getting voltage doesn't mean enough electrons are flowing into the starter to over come the torque needed to spin the engine over. Once the starters Bendix engages, it uses all the current available and shuts everything off...
I have limited car knowledge.But I pick up fast. I usually find what the issue is and watch YouTube to make the repair myself. Is there a video or something you could refer me to or dumb down what your saying to newbie lingo lol. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Sorry, all my suggestions on fixing different parts are from past experience..

When you think of electric, picture water flowing and substitute the water for electrons. When you crimp a garden hose or a piece of copper water line the water slows down. The same thing happens when the circuit doesn't have enough capacity to power a specific part like an amp or A.C. or has a bad connection, it slows the flow of electrons down. The issue with electric is it gets real hot when a resister is placed into the circuit.. The best way to check a cars circuit is to put a motor or a head lamp on the circuit and see how it runs..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts