El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys-

I am getting ready to cover all the plastic pieces (pillars,kickpanels,rearwindow sill) in black tweed. Is there any tips that you guys can give me that would help me out before I begin my adventure?? Like what to do about corners and what type of glue would be the best, or if I need to prep the peices in any way. Thanks alot!

-Luke

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Maybe this will sound a bit over the top but, buy new pieces then cover them. That way you are sure that the adhesive will stick.

I'd say a really good contact cement. Prep will need to be overboard on old interior pieces. Armor-All and things like that have lots of oils and solvents, things like silicones that nothing will stick to have, I am sure, collected on those things.

You bunch corners. glue down the flat or contoured surfaces that are smooth leaving the glue off the corners to start with. Let the glue cure to the fabric for several hours. Cut the corners in ribbons up to the back edge of the plastic. apply the contact cement to the plastic and fabric, fold the fabric back so that it doesn't make contact with the plastic. Let it tack, then pull up away from the plastic with the glue and around the corner, first with the center ribbon. Pull it so that the cut is just on the back edge of the plastic and stick it down.

Work fast and be careful not to allow the other ribbons to touch the contact cement or they will stick. Do that to all the ribbons until you've gotten around the corner. If there is any overlap or wrinkles they will be on the back side of the plastic out of sight.

I have some experience in covering Pool tables and that is sort of how the rails are down. The Felt is pretty stretchable. The idea is to get a smooth face and have the bunch (where the fabric gathers) behind out if eyesight or for a Pool Table rail away from interfering with the ball so it bounces correctly. After the fabric has set then trim off the bunch but leave some so that the fabric can shrink up some and not pull loose. We stapled the cloth on the back to help hold it in place, but you're not going to be able to do that.

I've never done this to plastic like what your going to do but it can be done just be patient and take your time. Try it on something similar first to get the feel of it. Practice on a corner with scrap material.

Good Luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts