El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
0 Posts
I always tell people not to use them. I blew 3 sets of those before I nailed the trick of using copper gaskets backed with aluminum and thread locker on the bolts. :beer:

·
Registered
450 Posts
on sbc`s ive always had really good luck with using the factory style manifold gasket set on my headers been doing this for over 10 years with awesome results as for header bolts i always scrap the 7\16ths socket head bolts and go with the allen head bolts

·
0 Posts
I used the Summit Racijng brands. You'll notice the headers have round port but most engines have square ports. I used round ported copper gaskets to match to the headers. The copper gaskets are also soft enough to where they mold themselves to the block to provide the seal you need. I backed mine with aluminum gaskets to ensure my trick though..I haven't had a blowout in 3 years.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I use the Fel-Pro gaskets, but I definitely don't pay the price Summit is asking. I got mine for about 1/2 the price, but then, I didn't get bolts with them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I used the Summit Racijng brands. You'll notice the headers have round port but most engines have square ports. I used round ported copper gaskets to match to the headers. The copper gaskets are also soft enough to where they mold themselves to the block to provide the seal you need. I backed mine with aluminum gaskets to ensure my trick though..I haven't had a blowout in 3 years.
SteelBeast, a quick and probably dumb question but; do you mean to say that you use a "double" set [ie: two pairs - back to back] of gaskets to stop any possible leaks? That's the way I read what you said and I wanted to be sure I fully understood what you meant. I may have a slight exhaust leak and it's a bear to change gaskets, so I wanted to be sure I understood just what you were implying? If so, what brand of gasket did/do you use?? Planning ahead for an exhaust gasket chango. Thanks, Greg

·
0 Posts
SteelBeast, a quick and probably dumb question but; do you mean to say that you use a "double" set [ie: two pairs - back to back] of gaskets to stop any possible leaks? That's the way I read what you said and I wanted to be sure I fully understood what you meant. I may have a slight exhaust leak and it's a bear to change gaskets, so I wanted to be sure I understood just what you were implying? If so, what brand of gasket did/do you use?? Planning ahead for an exhaust gasket chango. Thanks, Greg
Not a dumb question at all! Yes,I'm using two gaskets. The copper gasket is on the head with the aluminum behind it(between the copper and header). I used the Summit Racing brand for both. The reason for using two is in case a leak gets by the fist gasket. With two,it will tick before a blowout which gives you plenty enough time to tighten the bolts if they try to back out. If you use Loc-tite high temp thread locker(red),the bolts will stay in place for about a year,then after that just re-tighten when you hear the slightest leak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts