El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone tell me what a typical stroked sbc makes HP/TQ wise?? If it helps it's going to be a .386 running SR Torquers with 1:5 roller rockers. and full length hooker headers and about a 650 carb. The roller cam 480 lift 306 duration. I know I rehash a lot of my questions and I apologize but I'm new to all this and I'm extremely excited about it all so please forgive me.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
338 Posts
Your gonna need to be a lil more specific what motor and what's it stroked to? There are a lot of different size sbc other than a 350

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
He said it was a 386...which I take to mean a .040 over 350 block with a stroker crank...with the details given, it's hard to say..we really need to know the compression ratio to get close so I will guess you are going for somewhere near 9.0 to one compression based on the smallish cam. If that is close I'd put the engine in the 375-400 Hp range and likely 450 lb ft of torque. Thats a nice street engine that's octane friendly and should be happy on regular. By bumping the compression up a point to a point and a quarter..add some aluminum haeds and another .100 lift to the cam would get you close to the 500 Hp range but would require premium fuel and a larger carb.....Dan

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your gonna need to be a lil more specific what motor and what's it stroked to? There are a lot of different size sbc other than a 350
I'm sorry. It's actually a .327 + .040. I don't know what the compression will be. I assume the head gasket I choose will have some affect on that right??? Like I said i'm pretty green when it comes to engine building.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He said it was a 386...which I take to mean a .040 over 350 block with a stroker crank...with the details given, it's hard to say..we really need to know the compression ratio to get close so I will guess you are going for somewhere near 9.0 to one compression based on the smallish cam. If that is close I'd put the engine in the 375-400 Hp range and likely 450 lb ft of torque. Thats a nice street engine that's octane friendly and should be happy on regular. By bumping the compression up a point to a point and a quarter..add some aluminum haeds and another .100 lift to the cam would get you close to the 500 Hp range but would require premium fuel and a larger carb.....Dan
Ok so here's ALL the info on the cam;
Lobe Spread 108
Centers 106/110
RPM= 2200-6400
Adv Dur=306-306
Dur @ .050" =230/230

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Mabe 275 Just maybe ??? would be good to get 300 HP ...:texas: and just so you will know ,300hp is fine in a el camino !! will still roast the tires ! its the torque .

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mabe 275 Just maybe ??? would be good to get 300 HP ...:texas: and just so you will know ,300hp is fine in a el camino !! will still roast the tires ! its the torque .
275 out of a stroked motor???? Really???? I must say I'm a little deflated by that. So I've heard between 275-375.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You'd be close to 350 flywheel. I think 275 wheel is pretty close. Will still be a blast to drive. The camino has no ass end weight, so too much more, you would need to start on the suspension. I think you'll be very happy with it and still have plenty of room to grow.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You'd be close to 350 flywheel. I think 275 wheel is pretty close. Will still be a blast to drive. The camino has no ass end weight, so too much more, you would need to start on the suspension. I think you'll be very happy with it and still have plenty of room to grow.
Thanks. When I think of that number I can't help but think about all the compact cars boasting 200-270 hp 4&6 cylinders. Just seems pedestrian. Maybe it feel a lot different in a rwd car with no rear end weight.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Well ,i hope it does what you want it to ! thats all that realy matters, by the way we need pictures please :beer::texas:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Not being condescending if its a 327 .40 over its not stroked I got a 330 crate motor and a posi makes for done fun times in the rain

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,780 Posts
Yes to your album !! You can see it on your first post !! Your signature is listed only once in a thread !!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
lol. My bad Spence:beer:. The block is in the shop now BEING stroked.
Tony...I sure don't mean to sound like a smart alec---but all you can do to a block is bore it---as in making the cylinders bigger...to stroke an engine, the crankshaft has to be replaced or at least offset ground. A 4 inch bore block can make a 302, a 327, a350 or a 383 and slight variations of these depending on the "stroke" of the crankshaft...some stroker crankshafts can require the block to be "clearanced" to allow for the counterweights and rod bolts to clear some places in the casting and the cam may need to be a reduced circle also for clearance of the rod bolts...your machinist should know all this..be sure to ask him and follow his advise. Looking at your photobucket the crankshaft you are using is a 327 large journal crank so I need to revise my estimate of power and torque way down...A 327 is a fine little engine but needs to be ran at some high rpms to make decent power and that large journal crank makes for some pretty hign "bearing speed" at high rpm's So I wouldn't push it much past 6000 rpm if it was me.I'd say 275 hp and 300 tq are some decent numbers with today's gas from that engine....Dan

·
Registered
174 Posts
Lets put it this way. With your small 330 compared to my 10:1 383 with a baby cam (210/210 .525 lift) and dart heads I made 408/445 to the tire only spinning to 5000rpm. You are giving up 50 cubes cam lift and possibly head flow I do not see this engine making over 300hp and would bet more around 250-260 depending on the compression and intake efficiency.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tony...I sure don't mean to sound like a smart alec---but all you can do to a block is bore it---as in making the cylinders bigger...to stroke an engine, the crankshaft has to be replaced or at least offset ground. A 4 inch bore block can make a 302, a 327, a350 or a 383 and slight variations of these depending on the "stroke" of the crankshaft...some stroker crankshafts can require the block to be "clearanced" to allow for the counterweights and rod bolts to clear some places in the casting and the cam may need to be a reduced circle also for clearance of the rod bolts...your machinist should know all this..be sure to ask him and follow his advise. Looking at your photobucket the crankshaft you are using is a 327 large journal crank so I need to revise my estimate of power and torque way down...A 327 is a fine little engine but needs to be ran at some high rpms to make decent power and that large journal crank makes for some pretty hign "bearing speed" at high rpm's So I wouldn't push it much past 6000 rpm if it was me.I'd say 275 hp and 300 tq are some decent numbers with today's gas from that engine....Dan
Ok. First off no need to think you're being a smart Alec. I appreciate ALL the input you and others are giving me. The machinist prepping the block as needed to accept a stroker crank and all the necessary internals. I'm going with all new internals. I should apologize for not being concise in my descriptions. The crankshaft you in my photos are for sale along with the rest of the internals. Does this clear up the confusion I've caused?? Lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts