El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a buddy put in 2 new heavy duty u-joints & now I feel a vibration. Could the heavy duty u-joints instead of regular ones make the drive shaft not balanced ? Could he have done something wrong installing them ? :dontknow:
Thanks !! :beer:

·
Registered
929 Posts
Sounds like when he put the drive shaft back in he didn't mark the position it was originally in and rotated it, which would cause it to be out of balance. I guess it has to be balanced by a shop, I'm assuming this since I was always told to mark the position of a drive shaft and install it back the same way.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It sounds like He might of put them in wrong .If you don't clean the driveshaft yokes out good you could have a burr or rust making the u joint to tight .When the driveshaft is out the joints should move freely if not it's to tight . Remove clean and try again .

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Get to it before it spits the bearings out and you have to hitch hike!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Also some people will break a needle bearing installing the u joints and a piece of it will get stuck in the bottom of the cap making the u joint to tight .

·
Registered
281 Posts
Driveshaft Vibration.

Also check for a missing balance weight that might of fallen off while being repaired. The ones ive seen are about the size of the sign that the smiley is waving that says "you rock".

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys !! :beer: I will check them out !!

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
I agree with an earlier post. You may have re-installed the yoke 180 off and caused the vibration. I doubt that you dropped a needle bearing unless they are the thinnest ones I've ever seen. You couldn't install the clips if you did. At this point you should have it balanced, as long as when you pivot the joints in your hands they feel smooth, and the clips are in properly. :beer:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts