El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the article ...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A group of 10 U.S. Senators introduced a bipartisan bill on Thursday to eliminate the corn ethanol mandate, arguing that current law raises the cost of food and animal feed and damages the environment.

The bill, introduced by Dianne Feinstein, a California Democrat; Tom Coburn, an Oklahoma Republican; and eight cosponsors, faces an uphill battle as many lawmakers from agricultural states support the Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) that dictates that rising volumes of ethanol made from grains, including corn, be blended into motor fuel.

This is an older article (December 2013) that I just found. I had to check to see if a place normally known to be quite warm has frozen over because I find that I agree with Dianne Feinstein on something. It's not all peaches and cream, though, because they are moving the subsidy from food stocks to non-food stocks, but it's a start. I have always thought it was a bad idea to be feeding my car with the same stuff I eat.

Read the entire article here.

Copper

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I hope they get rid of that E-10 ethanol ,it's ruining our older cars with carbs. I heard they are coming out with E-15 (15%)alcohol ,it can only be used in 2012 & newer cars. Florida tried to pass a law that no ethanol fuel could be sold in the state.Haven't heard what happened with that.All new lawn mowers & other small engine equipment say DO NOT USE E-15,It will ruin your engine.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ethanol breaks down the rubber in our old rides. Next thing you know, you have fuel leaks all over the place and the hoses turn to a slime. When I bought my Elky, I went through and replaced all the hoses with new. New hoses are designed not to break down from the ethanol. I had to rebuild the carb shortly after. The seals inside the carb broke down also!!!Luckily, I found a station here that sells gas with no ethanol. Problem solved.
suks2bu37:nana2:

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Ethanol breaks down the rubber in our old rides. Next thing you know, you have fuel leaks all over the place and the hoses turn to a slime. When I bought my Elky, I went through and replaced all the hoses with new. New hoses are designed not to break down from the ethanol. I had to rebuild the carb shortly after. The seals inside the carb broke down also!!!Luckily, I found a station here that sells gas with no ethanol. Problem solved.
suks2bu37:nana2:
Except non ethanol gas costs over a dollar more per gallon & is hard to find on the road.If we go to only non ethanol fuel the price will drop down,everyone will get better mpg,less pollution,& will be available everywhere.& food prices will go down.Win-Win.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Get the government outta our gm's! (and chevys :p )

·
Registered
17 Posts
"Except non ethanol gas costs over a dollar more per gallon & is hard to find on the road.If we go to only non ethanol fuel the price will drop down,everyone will get better mpg,less pollution,& will be available everywhere.& food prices will go down.Win-Win."

"If we go to only non ethanol fuel the price will drop down..." The price will definitely increase if ethanol goes away. Ethanol is the main thing keeping the oil companies from increasing gas prices.

"When I was young I spent most of my money on beer, fast cars, and fast women.....the rest of it I wasted.....":-(

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
E15/e85

I see a lot of flex fuel autos, but no E/85 at the pumps, here in Tennessee. A few years back I did see a few E/85 stations in western Indiana. I think grain alcohol was meant for something besides running through your engine.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
What many people don't realize is that most of the "food" corn that ethanol is made from, is not edible by people it is field corn used to feed livestock. The waste product of the ethanol industry is currently fed to livestock. There is several refineries being built to use the corn stalks, cobs and other waste products along with different types of grasses to be made into ethanol too.
While I don't like E10-E85 and don't run it when possible the "food" argument is complete BS IMO.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What many people don't realize is that most of the "food" corn that ethanol is made from, is not edible by people it is field corn used to feed livestock. The waste product of the ethanol industry is currently fed to livestock. There is several refineries being built to use the corn stalks, cobs and other waste products along with different types of grasses to be made into ethanol too.
While I don't like E10-E85 and don't run it when possible the "food" argument is complete BS IMO.

Actually, according the article, the stalks, cobs, grasses and the like is where they are diverting the money to from corn.

While I understand that the corn isn't the sweet corn you buy in a can at the store, corn and corn products (high fructose corn syrup anyone?) is processed into so many products I think it highly likely we do eat, in some form, the same corn they are using to make ethanol.

It isn't a problem at the moment because we produce plenty, enough for everyone and to sell too, but still ... better I think to make the stuff, if that is what we are going to do, from things we don't eat at all ... like sawgrass.

Copper

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
There is several refineries being built to use the corn stalks, cobs and other waste products along with different types of grasses to be made into ethanol too.
Actually, according the article, the stalks, cobs, grasses and the like is where they are diverting the money to from corn.
Cellulosic Ethanol.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/18/ethanol-poetdsm-idUSL2N0LN1PO20140218

Last I heard it wasn't really economically viable. Reading that article may still prove that point. They're talking only 25 million gallons/year production rate. With only a few other plants in the nation, total production is still under 100 million gallons - a mere pittance of what the law was originally demanding. But, if they can get it to work, I think we could see E85 substantially cheaper than gasoline even without subsidies. If it can be dropped to at least 1/3 less than gas, then you'll see more adoption. Around here nobody carries it anymore because it was only about 10-15 cents cheaper. The lower MPGs with it made it more expensive in the long run.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I can't stand E10, but I have seriously considered building an engine around E85. It can handle high compression and has a cooling effect when run through your engine. It's great for building horsepower and keeping you from overheating.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Where does cornmeal come from, corn whisky, Hominy, grits, corn meal mush?
Sweet corn

This got me to thinking and I did some research. According to Purdue University, all these items, and a whole lot more, are all made from field corn (Dent type), including most breakfast cereals.

75% of the field corn grown goes to feeding livestock, 15% to human consumption, and the rest is sold for one reason or another. That's a lot of corn.

Article can be read here.

<Edit>
Here is an interesting fact, to me anyway ... in 2007 the Unites State planted 93.6 million acres of field corn, compared to 385,000 acres of sweet corn, producing 14.4 billion bushels of corn. That's billion with a B!

Figures from Iowa State University.
</Edit>

Copper

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Grain Alcohol

I remember, in my younger days, about 60yrs ago, carrying 40 lbs of sugar about 3 miles, while my uncle carried about 80 lbs of corn. The corn came from my grandfathers corn crib. The corn was field corn for the cattle. I ask my uncle what they were going to do with the corn and sugar. His reply was Corn whisky, or either E85 fuel I just can't remember which. It was by the light of a full moon, that we were traveling through the woods.
A salute to me favorite uncle HOSS.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts