El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never a dull moment with the Ill-co... So I was coming home from the pool hall last night and came up to a red light... pedal went soft and the "brake" idiot light came on. The car didn't really want to slow down, but fortunately, I was able to switch lanes and kinda slide the car around the corner onto a less populated street (I was on Coit road, for those of you familiar with north dallas area, kind of a busy street). I figured if I can't predictably stop the beast, I might as well get onto a side street, so I don't slam into a family of 5 or some **** like that... anyways, I was able to limp the car home without further incident. Feels like the front brakes are out, or it could be the master cylinder. Haven't had a chance to do any real troubleshooting aside from reading the shop manual and thinking back to how it felt when I lost the rear brakes on the Torino a few years ago. I definitely think it's the front, though... if it were the rears, I think the car would've been able to stop shorter than it did. Probably comparing apples to oranges, since the Torino had front discs...
The reservoir was full, vacuum lines to the MC are alright, and I don't see any brake fluid under the car, but I'll have to tear into it on Wednesday, I guess... I'm working from home that day and waiting for this guy to come buy the POS Supra that's been taking up a good parking spot for the last 2 months... Fortunately, the weather looks like it'll be cooperating... Wed.'s gonna be a busy, busy day... fix the brakes and sell the supra during the day and then cook a nice dinner for this girl in the evening.

On another note, I had a buddy put the car into reverse and then into drive while I laid next to it and watched the driveshaft... the clunk is definitely coming from the front u-joint. I don't remember who told me how to check that, but I wanted to say thanks. Maybe I'll do the u-joint on Wed., too...

Gotta love working on cars that have been neglected for years and years... I just hope that the front wheels aren't rusted to the drums like the back ones were.

Oh, I took some before/after pics of the engine, and some pics of the car last weekend. Also snapped some of the Torino, figured I might put it up on ebay or something... When I use up the rest of the film, I'll try to get them scanned in and maybe give you guys an idea of what I have to deal with in resurrecting this poor car.

Sorry for the long post, if I get too much vino in me, i tend to start rambling.

Trying to maintain sanity,
-Dean
71 El Camino... more falling apart than coming together, lately.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i feel for ya. been there a few times.
one night my throttle (sorry, not a mechanic) spring broke. ended up driving home standing on my brakes. you should have seen the 180 (middle of winter lotsa ice and snow) i did as it broke. scared the @#$% outa this kid.
always a few good stories with every Camino.

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
Dean;

Just from your explaination, it sure sounds like your MC gave up the ghost. Rebuilts are inexpensive, just make sure to bench bleed the replacement per the instructions.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"I hope the new MC doesn't blow out a brake line. Rust never sleeps. "

Yeah, I hope the same thing... I won't be surprised if I lose the brakes again shortly after fixing the MC. Seems to be how it goes: something breaks, so you put new parts on there, then the new parts overstress the old parts involved...

That's alright, though, it's good to constantly fear for your life when driving around ;)

Just kidding, I'm actually having a pretty good time with this car.

-Dean

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
deangod said:
I hope the new MC doesn't blow out a brake line. Rust never sleeps.
Well, since you should bleed the entire system after a MC swap anyway, why not replace those old tired hoses too :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heh... that's how a simple repair turns into a frame-off restoration :)

Replacing the hoses isn't a bad idea in this case... I'll either find some way to screw them up or they'd probably fail a week after I do the MC anyways.

Later,
Dean

·
Banned
881 Posts
87SS said:
Well, since you should bleed the entire system after a MC swap anyway, why not replace those old tired hoses too
Let me tell you about "Murphys Law". Or, how about the story of "Pandoras Box"? I'll bet the hard line is rusted to the nut. If you try to loosen them you should be prepared to replace a section of brake line as well.

:mrgreen:

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
87ElCamino said:
Let me tell you about "Murphys Law". Or, how about the story of "Pandoras Box"? I'll bet the hard line is rusted to the nut. If you try to loosen them you should be prepared to replace a section of brake line as well. :mrgreen:
Been there, done that..got the t-shirt and video...here's a little secret...a wire brush first then "liquid wrench" a couple of days over...works most of the time...as usual, patience is usually the key

1 - 10 of 10 Posts