El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what this is and whether or not I can just tear it out and toss it?:nanawrench:
lol Found it just stuffed up under the dash by the gas pedal.. says "suntune Vac"

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Yea, that's a manifold vacuum guage, useful for tuning carburetors and monitoring economy.If you rip it out make sure the manifold is plugged where it is tapped or you will encounter a serious vacuum leak.

·
Registered
165 Posts
It looks like it's an aftermarket vacuume pressure sensor. by the looks of it, it hasn't worked in some time.
They don't come stock, so you could get rid of it.
If you wanted to, you can always get a new one later on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't bother even checking to see if it did anything when the car was on, but would it work just like that? Does it not require any other kind of power or anything? Does anyone have a link where I can maybe learn about what this does so I can decide whether it's worth keeping or not?

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Joel, the only power required is for the light inside the guage (12 VDC). The guage indicates the vacuum in your intake manifold, which changes constantly due to rpms, throttle opening, whether you are cruising , accelerating or decelerating. All these dynamics influence manifold vacuum, which is very improtant to meter the correct air/fuel ratios and also controls vacuum advance system in your distributor. If that hose connects to your motor near the carburetor you need to make sure hole is plugged or leave it connected.

·
Registered
144 Posts
tear it out, and put a plug on the engine where it hooks up. If it is still hooked to the engine of course.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually checked it out, did a little research, and started her up and she sat at a steady 18, and I read that that is ideal.... sooooooooo I threw a ring on er' (screwed her into the bottom of the dash lol)

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
that there is the thing-a-am-gig hooked up to the hoochie ma-bob which looks at the thingy which controls the new style muffler bearing that monitors the headlight fluid,,which is very important for your year Camino,, if that corn fuses ya here are my AF acronyms, if your an old tanker guy see if you can recall well my water burner is stuck the CSD is shot the now new MFD is fried and the FDR is on the fritz,, the IGGY is shot MMR 1 & 2 is out,, the GIPWIZ is gone,, not to say I have to fill out my new DTS for my GTC,,,, Love it Matty man

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Matty, have you converted to the new dot 7 headlight fluid yet? Tests showed that the dot 6 held too much moisture & caused premature muffler bearing failure. Thought you might need to know that.
As far as dash mounted vacuum gauges go, the idea is to drive as light footed as you can to keep the reading high for better fuel economy.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
jlcustomz,, Thanks for the info!!!!!! I will go to dot 7 this weekend!!!!
Gary,, the vaccum gauge needs to be hooked up to the manifold vacuum, not to the carb,, behind the carb where the tranny or p/b booster hooks up to. Matty man

1 - 12 of 12 Posts