El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...
With help from individuals from this forum I've done the AC delete, changed thermostat and thermostat housing. One more thing: I have an oil leak that I have no idea where it's coming from. It's coming out underneath the driver's side. Yup. All the way back there. I've checked all gaskets and I can't find anything. Has this happened to anyone?

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the quick turn around but no. I've checked back there. Besides since it started I have refilled it and it keeps going down. I've also checked the oil pan and nothing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has to be coming from the engine and seeping in between the floor boards somehow. I just can't find the origin at the engine. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
Could it be a rear main seal leak?
could be several things on the motor, but
how does it get inside to run out the floor board ??

jack it up see where the oil is coming from left, right, front, back
the oil can blow back from the front of the motor on the road
then drip from a different spot when parked..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It boggles the mind, my friend. I'll take a good look at it tomorrow and post it here with pics. Thanks JJ!

·
Registered
53 Posts
It looks like trans fluid. Has any level of engine or trans fluid changed with time? Leaks can migrate from cables or shafts on trans and blow back with air stream to catch on lower body/suspension parts.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
For what it's worth I'd degrease the whole thing then try to determine the path, if not the source.🤔
It looks like trans fluid. Has any level of engine or trans fluid changed with time? Leaks can migrate from cables or shafts on trans and blow back with air stream to catch on lower body/suspension parts.

definitely degrease as DaveinWinnipeg advised. get under it with a spray wand at a self-serve car wash. and don't forget the backside of the engine where you can't see. once it's clean check your fluid levels (all of them, power, trans, brake, oil) and top them off at the right level so you have a benchmark.
put a couple of clean white towels/washcloths in the elkie, drive until the problem is visible again. immediately check all fluids to see what has gone down. make a note of how you're driving (hammering it, high constant highway speed, daily city driving, frequent tranny gear changes in hilly neighborhood; I had a long distance commuter car with normal oil loss but above 75mph I'd lose a quart every hundred miles). after inspection, wipe down the covered areas. now you can inspect the color of the fluid to make sure it is oil or tranny fluid , or even both.

another option which I've used is goto an oil change place with a pit and ask them to take a look.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the guidance everyone. I got underneath got a video buy unfortunately it's too big to upload so I got snaps. As you can see I traced it back from where the leak is coming out, along the seam of the floorboard, all the way up to the engine bay. Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
if I had to guess, backside of the engine block behind the distributor? also, is it only one side or both sides? one side could also mean just the valve cover gaskets. did you change those recently?

as for video, upload to a site like Flickr or something. if you have Android, upload to Drive and Share it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@JJLT1... my friend you hit the nail on the head! Today I took my El Camino to a buddy. It took him about half an hour to find the problem. It was the aftermarket oil pressure gauge hose! I guess it was cracked or frayed or something. I want to thank everyone for their input. This forum rocks!

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Pressure guages need external sending units. Any time fluids enter the passenger compartment is potential for problems beyond just a leak. How long do you think it will take for that oil to drain out of that carpet? And yes, JJ has insight beyound the normal human!

Joe

1 - 20 of 22 Posts