El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine was idling rough so I sprayed some carb cleaner on (which worked motor is purring just fine ). But while replacing the air filter cover I noticed a wire coming out just below the cover and not attached to anything. In the attached photo you can see that I am holding the connector end of the wire with my thumb and supporting the dry cracked of wire with my finger. The end came off when I lifted it to see what it was. In that end is a bolt rather than an eyelet. The bolt looks to be about the size on the alternator ground and the wire reaches just about to the ground. Is that where it should attach? What does it do? Is it a sensor for the alternator?

Jeff
IMG_0267.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it has an eyelet on it is is most likely a ground where does it originate
I am thinking there was an eyelet on it at one time that broke off. The alternator has been changed so maybe it broke off and the bolt was stuck in the end to not loose but never got hooked up again. In photo you can see the wire in my hand goes into a rubber grommet just below the air filter housing. Engine and everything runs just fine. Do not want tohook it up to Alternator if does not belong and cause some other issue.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If everything works, just leave them alone.

·
Registered
593 Posts
The one under your thumb looks like a plugged vacuum connection. Are you sure that is a wire? The other wire looks to have a push on connection. Black color points to a ground.
Tom

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The one under your thumb looks like a plugged vacuum connection. Are you sure that is a wire? The other wire looks to have a push on connection. Black color points to a ground.
Tom
The one under my thumb with the bolt in it broke off the wire when I fished it up from sitting on the motor. I was looking to see if a vacuum line was disconnected or cracked that would cause the rough idle when I found this. I thought at first..ok there it is a vacuum line disconnected. But no it is def a wire.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The part with the bolt in it looks like a fusible link attached to a thick purple wire?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have not cracked open the piece with the bolt in it to see what is inside, I just assumed it was the end grommet for a insulating the crimp on a connector. I will split it open, If it is a fusible link being disconnected would be just like melting and breaking current so something should show up as not functioning or warning?

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I have a 86-305 with a white looking wire with a bolt stuck in the end but it is actually a vacuum hose that goes to the heater control on the heater hose valve , the bolt is in there to stop a vacuum leak , if it was a wire with a bolt in it it could have 12 volts looking for a ground to short out on . I'll bet yours is the same thing . My heater is not hooked up because I live in Fla. Just unscrew the bolt & look inside the connector .

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a 86-305 with a white looking wire with a bolt stuck in the end but it is actually a vacuum hose that goes to the heater control on the heater hose valve , the bolt is in there to stop a vacuum leak , if it was a wire with a bolt in it it could have 12 volts looking for a ground to short out on . I'll bet yours is the same thing . My heater is not hooked up because I live in Fla. Just unscrew the bolt & look inside the connector .
That could be it. I've seen them used mostly for controls for the AC system in my pick up truck when I had it.
The thin part that looks like wire was actually a small plastic tube.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts