El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well I'm getting my feet wet here with my replacement El Camino.
Little bit of a learning curve here but my five years with that 86 kind of conditioned me to what to expect.
My new to me 85 had come up with a few problems some I can ignore but others must be fixed.
First thing was just before Gainesville I had to repump the ac.....did not work so that week was without air. So same weekend stopped for gas and no high test available so what the hell , put in regular. Big mistake . Got that straightened out but now get the air fixed....ok works great,,frezzen me arz off.....but wait why is it squealing like crazy...oh the air guys must have not tightened the belt up enough.......nnnoooooo it's a broken bracket on bottom of compressor causing the problem. So told mechanic let go I'll get some antisqueal spray and Tuesday I'm have nx project worked on which is replace radiator and go to electric fans. Fix that bracket then
Not complaining though....well maybe a little bit ,,,love the car and I'll add some pictures with the nx post after the rad work.
I know wife say I'm exponding again. Ok I can't believe you guys are tired of this post already. Ok ok signing off.
Bill
Orlando

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why do you need high test, do you have a performance engine?
It's a 350 crate with cam and it ran terrible on regular. I was told when I got the car to put at least mid grade in her. I use Costco so they just have regular and prem. So prem it is. And years drive is about 3k so the increased cost is not prohibitive.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
5,648 Posts
Bill , I gotta agree with Squag that it is part of the adventure . My newer to me 59 has gone through a few pains . Unfortunately , here in the Keys it is a lot harder to get work done and a lot more expensive than the mainland of Florida . If something is not wrong with our rides , it seems that we go looking for it with our new mods . I am envious of others like 464elky , Skinyfisher , Squag , Edonthebeach and others that have the knowledge and talent to not only get a vehicle to run but really perform . My plan is to learn more mechanics in my next lifetime . We admire that you are willing to turn that ignition key and come out to our events in that beautiful new ride .

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bill , I gotta agree with Squag that it is part of the adventure . My newer to me 59 has gone through a few pains . Unfortunately , here in the Keys it is a lot harder to get work done and a lot more expensive than the mainland of Florida . If something is not wrong with our rides , it seems that we go looking for it with our new mods . I am envious of others like 464elky , Skinyfisher , Squag , Edonthebeach and others that have the knowledge and talent to not only get a vehicle to run but really perform . My plan is to learn more mechanics in my next lifetime . We admire that you are willing to turn that ignition key and come out to our events in that beautiful new ride .
Thank you Lenny.
I think that this part of our passion with a very distinct automobile is the relationship we all have together. It nice to be able to share with those that understand.
So thanks Lenny and thanks to the whole team for their support.
Bill
Orlando

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 6
2,073 Posts
Ditto.
They can become a money pit very quickly, nut they bring so much enjoyment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts