El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here. Know pretty much next to nothing about how to modify a car, but joined this forum to learn.

I am not interested in racing or speed. Too old for that. Also not all that interested in HP increase or performance. What I do love is that low burble at idle and cruising and a bit of a bark when you step on it. Just got an 86 El Camino with a 305, single exhaust modified with a glass pack out in front of the passenger side rear wheel. Absolutely love the sound of it, though it drones pretty bad at highway speeds.

Would love to have the same on the driver side as well. Spoke to mechanic where I am having all my work done, and said about 1.5k for new hardware, glass packs, and accompanying mods to do a matching dual exhaust. Live in Nevada, so I can register as a classic car with all the exemptions.

What would be the ideal set up for this? I just love that burble and bark, and Im not looking to set off any alarms. What would be the ideal set up if I decide to upgrade? Do I match the exhaust to in front of the rear wheel? Do I put on some cherry bombs and put it out the back? What would be the best sounding set up for an easy cruiser?

Thank you, and apologies for not knowing what Im talking about.

·
Premium Member
8,132 Posts
My son had duel exhaust put on the 78. There's a 350 in it with a Comp Magnum cam. It doesn't have glass packs. They are metal mufflers, and the exhaust pipes go past the rear axle and stop. There's no headers on it but it sounds great to me.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I recommend sending the exhaust out the back. I found that when they come out the side you will fill your garage with fumes very fast when you run the engine, perhaps for tuning, for example. Plus, I think it looks better. Downside for you is that you won't get to hear the exhaust note very well if you do it. In general, though, this is another one of the many things about hot rodding that is purely personal preference.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I highly recommend these mufflers, Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers 17749... They will sound great on that small block..

The whole deal shouldn't cost over $500... I would try Meineke or different muffler shops. $1500 is way too much unless he's installing headers too, then 1500 would be just right..

·
Registered
372 Posts
Newbie here. Know pretty much next to nothing about how to modify a car, but joined this forum to learn.

I am not interested in racing or speed. Too old for that. Also not all that interested in HP increase or performance. What I do love is that low burble at idle and cruising and a bit of a bark when you step on it. Just got an 86 El Camino with a 305, single exhaust modified with a glass pack out in front of the passenger side rear wheel. Absolutely love the sound of it, though it drones pretty bad at highway speeds.

Would love to have the same on the driver side as well. Spoke to mechanic where I am having all my work done, and said about 1.5k for new hardware, glass packs, and accompanying mods to do a matching dual exhaust. Live in Nevada, so I can register as a classic car with all the exemptions.

What would be the ideal set up for this? I just love that burble and bark, and Im not looking to set off any alarms. What would be the ideal set up if I decide to upgrade? Do I match the exhaust to in front of the rear wheel? Do I put on some cherry bombs and put it out the back? What would be the best sounding set up for an easy cruiser?

Thank you, and apologies for not knowing what Im talking about.
"said about 1.5k for new hardware, glass packs, and accompanying mods to do a matching dual exhaust" Find another mechanic and shop. That's at least $1000 too much for just installing a dual exhaust system.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
:geek: Welcome, Glad you joined us.
Have fun and enjoy NECOA. I have Jegs header
back system on Nicks. You can adapt them to new
down pipes from each manifold. Nick likes them.
From Nick & Don
Grove City, Ohio..:)

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
If you go to to dual exhaust you will have to get a double hump tranny X member for your 86 , cost with X member , 2 mufflers & pipes should be about 1,000 bucks installed .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info all.

To upgrade to dual exhausts I would need new headers, as the stock ones are designed for a single exhaust, and the tranny X member, as well as additional emissions hardware. 1500 was high end estimate.

Go back and forth on whether or not to do side or rear. I do have a while to decide yet though.

·
Registered
278 Posts
you shouldn't need headers to install dual exhausts. the stock manifold should be just fine and any decent exhaust shop should be able to make you up a nice dual exhaust for under $1000. for $1500 i would be expecting a completely stainless steel exhaust including the headers. the only somewhat tricky place to run exhaust is by the rear axle. i got stock exhaust manifolds on my 78 and it has duals.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
you'll notice crazyw doesn't have a x-over pipe either.

as others said, $1500 is way too much. he quoted $15000 either to see you accept it without blinking ("CHA-CHING $$$!"), or to make you go away.

how you decide to set it up will determine your price.
do you want functionality or fit? junkyard x-member route is about $20, the aftermarket doublehump x-member is about $150
do you want headers or stock? stock is free, aftermarket costs $$$, AND the issue with headers is sparkplug accessibility

you said "I am not interested in racing or speed. ....not all that interested in HP increase or performance. What I do love is that low burble at idle and cruising and a bit of a bark when you step on it. "

also, the size of the exhaust pipe will affect tone and horsepower. I think all you really need is the right size pipe, the right sounding muffler (which only you can choose), and the cheap tranny x-member

·
Registered
103 Posts
Seen a couple of videos, they say the Flowmaster Super 50's are really good, no highway drone and will still bark nicely at WOT. I had glass packs on my 05 Magnum hemi, and at 2300rpm the entire back end of that wagon buzzed, hated that as 2300rpm was right at 70mph.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
You might get what you want by keeping most of your stock exhaust but add a crossflow muffler with two outlets and stock looking tailpipes behind the tires (the early diesel Caminos came with them). I’m not a fan of Flowmasters (my big block Buick has Walkers because they flow the best and don’t drone; my Camino is completely stock) but it may be what you want for this. I once had a C10 with Flows and they were ok; maybe being under the bed far from the cab helped. If you try just the muffler and tailpipes you aren’t out a lot of money if you don’t like it.
Patrick

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input.

I am thinking that if I go the dual route, I would match it so they exit in front of the rear tire. I will definetly do my research if I decide to upgrade! I tossed around the idea of side pipes, but just dont think I would like the look of them.

·
Supporting Member
4,439 Posts
Where in Nevada are you located? If in Vegas, send me a PM and we'll get in touch. I have good sources on exhaust work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Where in Nevada are you located? If in Vegas, send me a PM and we'll get in touch. I have good sources on exhaust work.
Give me a shout, I'm in 'Vegas with a stock '87, 2 small cats an d duals out the back,sounds good. Great exhaust shop close to me, I'm on the NW side of town, join us on Sunday morning's corner of Craig / Rancho. E-mail [email protected] yahoo.com or call 208-659-9950. Cheers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have an 87 Caballero with the stock 305 which is basically a reliable engine I have dual exhaust with no cats and the factory exhaust manifolds I have an Edelbrock intake and a Holley 550 it sounds rumbly when I give it throttle and that is about it and just fine by me because it is my daily driver I have had muscle cars and this is surely not one of them however it sounds good and like you I am not under any illusions it is a 305 with that said I would consider most of the previous advice as sound I would keep the factory exhaust manifolds and only replace as much of the existing exhaust as nesessary .Flowmasters would more than suffice headers would not make a world of difference on your 305 so that is another country heard from. At the end of the day follow your heart and have fun.

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
I had a set of duals similar to crazywolfie's (in the pic above) done at a local muffler shop for about $350 with some new Magnaflows. They just extended from the pipe coming off the original exhaust manifolds and made a new system! That was 4 years ago and now all that's left is the Magnaflow mufflers and a whole new set of pipes from the headers back at a cost of another $350! That was after an engine/trans swap and a bunch of other mods though. Good luck!

Joe

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome,

Do some i-net searching with JEG's and Summit as they have complete exhaust systems for your El Camino at affordable prices, but $1500.00 is pie in the sky for that set-up. Even with a new cross-member (which isn't necessary,) and headers, that price would be too high. I do my welding so modified my original cross-member, have hooker headers and true duals with Jones mufflers, 2 1/2" pipe through-out and I'm in the system about $600.00. Without headers, a good muffler shop should be able to fix you up for 350/400 bucks.

Good Luck..

·
Registered
29 Posts
I live in Las Vegas and found a good muffler shop off Fremont Street that can bend new exhaust pipe from drivers side around to right side of cross member so it will not have to be cut and rewelded. Had 2 14" Magnaflow mufflers installed that give a nice low end rumble and bark when accelerated from a 350 engine. I am sure you can find them.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Here’s what I am installing now (the last of the parts arrived yesterday): Flowtech 11104FLT headers ($169.95), Jeg’s 30546 2.5” dual exhaust system ($149.99), two Spintech 9334 Super Pro Street mufflers ($173.90 plus shipping). Total is just under $500.00 ($493.84). I had previously installed a used G-Force cross member that I got for $100.00.

Now why am I doing this? I didn’t intend to change the exhaust system at this point in my build. It started when I installed a UMI Rear Shock brace along with other suspension upgrades. I had to remove the factory muffler brackets and along with them went the rotted out muffler. I routed the remnants of the muffler-less stock 2.25" exhaust out in front of the left rear wheel. It is loud enough and sounds okay, but it is very raspy at higher RPMs.

Elsie still has the stock 305. Installing headers won’t do a thing for that motor, but this way the headers will already be in place when I do install a hotter engine in the future. Affordable pre-planning.

The Spin Tech mufflers just sound terrific to my ears – I like my cars loud anyway, but these sound loud and good.

The only decision I have left to make is: Exits in front of the rear wheels or behind?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts