El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's about time to go modern. This last car show this past weekend did it. I'm going with 17" American Racing Torque Thrust ll's. 17x7 fronts and 17x8 rears with 225/50R/17 Nittos front and 255/50R/17 Nittos rear.

Going to have Z/28 hood stripes put on, too.

So I will have these available next week. Hope it's OK to do this!:neutral2:

This pic was taken at Belton. I think hood stripes matching the truck should look cool.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I want to stripe my 70 - what do you mean by Z28 stripes - are these different than the SS stripes? I think it should look cool matched to your truck. I am a bit old school about the wheels (Cragar s/s)and tires (14" BFGs 50s rear and 60s front) I like but must admit the 17" do look good too.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Dual hood stripes like on a Camaro Z-28. I really don't know if they are the same as SS stripes, but, he is a custom painter. I'll let him use his imagination, not a stencil.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Oh yeah. Nice! I like these stripes but would want a starting point at the front - ie not wrapping under the hood but begining on the hood. In my opinion stripes add a lot to the look of the car but it is hard to find someone to trust to do it right. No stripes is better than poorly done stripes.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Those O/E rallys look awfully good...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those O/E rallys look awfully good...
Yes, they are very good. 7" 69 date coded OE, still the original finish inside, no rust. New GM (not repro) beauty rings. Tires are Performance 235/60R/15 front and 245/60R/15 rear. Practically new.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah. Nice! I like these stripes but would want a starting point at the front - ie not wrapping under the hood but begining on the hood. In my opinion stripes add a lot to the look of the car but it is hard to find someone to trust to do it right. No stripes is better than poorly done stripes.
I think it being a flat hood, no bulges, that bringing the color all the way to the front, like that Camaro, would look good. It's a straight shot, no curves in the hood. Too much vanilla now, add more color to the front.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Black.I did think about painting the car the Blue Granite Metallic and leaving white stripes, but d***, that color is hard to keep clean! And white is cooler in summer.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, getting back to the wheel/tire set, since it has been so long since I did this car, I'm not up on what the current market value of the rallys is. I would like to recover something towards the investment of the mods. I do have room to store them, but I'll probably never use them.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hood treatment

OK guys, I decided to go with this hood treatment.

Wish I could photoshop it to my colors.:wink2:

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rolling stock

Got the wheels/tires today. Tomorrow in for paint...

We will be installing new GM shocks, I'm going to air the rears individually. Maybe I should drop the front about 1 1/2".

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,587 Posts
I do like your wheel choice. Big wheels just don't fit a classic vehicle IMO. Your 17's fit the cruck well.

Bill

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Bill.

Darn, just called the painter and one of the guys is sick and it looks like it will have to be done next week. Oh well. Gives me time for the new look to sink in. The car has been the same for 17 years!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The rallys

Here are a couple pics of the rallys...

Guys at the tire shop said they are really nice. The date code is 1 1 9. Looks like they are YH code 69 Camaro Z-28. Looked on ebay and a pair of these, bare and repainted, went for $700. There is one on there now for $350, bare. This is a matching set, with center caps and trim rings. (And tires.) Dated January 1, 1969. How cool!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts