El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true that not having your A/c connected is going to give you gains in Horse power? or is this hog wash.. the shop that did my bottom end said the engine would have issues running 279cam with A/c, that youd feel the slugish_ness

I just cant let it go.. TO KEEP A/c Or NOT

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
hmmm a lil more info on your combo plz i.e. gears carb trans daily driver or week end bruiser?
if its possible i would keep it, i sure miss mine sometimes.:texas:

·
0 Posts
hmmm a lil more info on your combo plz i.e. gears carb trans daily driver or week end bruiser?
if its possible i would keep it, i sure miss mine sometimes.:texas:
You should let us know your combo so we can find out...:poke:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Look at it this way, it would be a minimal gain at best. Drive and sweat, or drive and be cooool:cool2: Actually though, back when my 305 was still in, I did have mine dissconnected for about a week, and the motor did have an extra zip to it when you hit the pedal. One less pulley for the motor to drag on your HP. But being in where your from, the choice is yours.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Personally it's very minimal gains, but the weight gain from removing all the ac stuff is pretty nice....

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
stock crank_shaft (polished).. stock pistons.. honed cylinders.. 279intake 297exhaust thumpr Cam.
Heads are stock but bored also 3 angle valve job. .479 lift and added spring.. had get get rid of stock valve spring. Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold. Hedman Headers Shorties. Dual 2 1/2 turbo mufflers.. 600Cfm Card. MSD Distributor, 200-4R tranny with Hughes Torque Converter 2,000 stall. Not sure gear ratio..

its a once a month driver.. if that.. it just sits for me to edmire it..

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
if ya only drive it once a month and its just a toy i would ditch it :beer:

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Unless you race for money, staying cool is a good thing. You could always pop the belt off, run the race then be chillin on the way home!!:nanawrench:
Donny

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Bigger stall, turn the A/C off when racing.:let_it_all_out:

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
It was 99 degrees in the shade the other day here in north jax, you really want to delete the ac????. If you're having a running problem being sluggish taking off, just shut it off when you need to accelerate. OR , get a good efi system that will give you some driveability back:poke:.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I LOVE my A/C!!! Running modern A/C is a minimal power drain, like 6 or so h/p and weight savings isn't a big deal...being KOOL iz what it iz about!!!:beer:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love my A/c... but Im young and stupid and could just roll the windows down... aint that something.. ORRRRR drive around like a bus driver with that metal fan hanging..

Im on the ropes.. Only reason i brought it up was because "Hanz" at Hanz House of Engines told me that with my set up my car would be "hurting" with a/c

1 - 12 of 12 Posts