El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard it both ways. Some people say DON'T use the 2 gaskets that go on the ends of your intake just use sealer, others say use them plus sealer!
And ya'll say??????:dontknow:
Donny

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
spray them with starting fluid, throw them on the floor, then use the silicone sealer

:poke:

but I always use them with a dab of sealer

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,775 Posts
I did mine without the end gaskets just sealer !
I saw on one of those TV shows, That the guy put the intake on first to see how much of a gap between block & intake was, & then made the bead of sealer just a little bigger of what the gap was & then put the intake on with just a little sealer coming out ! Make sense to me !! :dontknow:

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
A nice 1/4" dianeter bead across the top edges of the block front and rear. Lay the manifold on after about 15 minutes. I use super blue silicone gasket.

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
..go with the the seals,put some RV seal on it,I never had any good luck with a layer of silicon glue..:dontknow:
:beer:

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
ask 47 people and you'll get 48 answers

(I answered twice, remember?)

:nanawrench:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
No gaskets just silicone. I use ultra black.

I also rub in a thin film on both intake and block surfaces then lay down a bead.

Never had one leak.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
The guy with the starting fluid and a battery.:poke:

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
no gaskets, use GMS (General Motors Sealant), available from any GM dealer

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
X10 for Ultra Black. A 1/4'' high bead plus a thin bead around the water ports but first a coating of Gaskashinch or similar on the nicely cleaned heads and gaskets to hold them in place while placing the manifold. 25lbs. torque for aluminum and 30lbs. for cast. After the first heat cool cycle or the next day torque it down again. Boom done !
Donny, I liked the stump grinder you were building you should have let it run long enough for the oil to start shooting up out of the heads.:beer:

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
My 2 cents...

I have used the gaskets for 35 years, never a problem...If the block has holes for the studs on the gasket then use them, older ones without the holes had issues...on those blocks I would grind a grove for the sealant to grip.

Never under estimate the factory...they would not have spent 2 cents on gaskets if they did not need them...

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
X10 for Ultra Black. A 1/4'' high bead plus a thin bead around the water ports but first a coating of Gaskashinch or similar on the nicely cleaned heads and gaskets to hold them in place while placing the manifold. 25lbs. torque for aluminum and 30lbs. for cast. After the first heat cool cycle or the next day torque it down again. Boom done !
Donny, I liked the stump grinder you were building you should have let it run long enough for the oil to start shooting up out of the heads.:beer:
PS. let the silicone glaze over a bit before placing the manifold

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
You and I must have learned from the same mechanic because that is the exact same way I do it.
I also agree that Donny should have "let her run" would have made a great post on here. Titled "How Dumb Can A Texan Be"
Hey wait-a-minute I'm a Texan.:nanawrench:

·
0 Posts
Mine has silicone. I can actually see a bit of it that was pushed out from the pressure during the install.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts