Registered
4,676 Posts
I used a crossmember from a 84-96 crown vics and also lincolns
It's a double hump, just cut the ends to length & smash the ends
Cost me $18
Seen many people do this
Here is the thread I did

View attachment 137486
don't forget to grab the rubber mounts that go on the ends for vibration isolation.
they're also powder coated. Bonus!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used a crossmember from a 84-96 crown vics and also lincolns
It's a double hump, just cut the ends to length & smash the ends
Cost me $18
Seen many people do this
Here is the thread I did

View attachment 137486
Excellent, thanks for the info!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Sgunz, late last year, I was in a similar quandary regarding how to solve a dual exhaust crossmember for my 87 El Camino. I considered a lot of options and opinions on this and other sites. One plan was to modify a stock crossmember, fabricate, then weld the second hump myself. After thoroughly thinking about the critical role that a crossmember plays in supporting the drivetrain, I decided that scrimping and saving a few bucks just wasn't worth the risks since my plan was to hand-down this classic to my family.

In the end, I opted to buy a new Summit brand crossmember. If you look online closely at the Summit brand crossmember, you will see that it strongly resembles the G-Force ones but NOT at the G-Force price. When I received and was installing the crossmember, I noted one of the diagrams in the instructions was originally that used by G-Force. Over the years, I have found that many of Summit's parts are made by major brands but sold under the Summit brand AND a little less expensive!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sgunz, late last year, I was in a similar quandary regarding how to solve a dual exhaust crossmember for my 87 El Camino. I considered a lot of options and opinions on this and other sites. One plan was to modify a stock crossmember, fabricate, then weld the second hump myself. After thoroughly thinking about the critical role that a crossmember plays in supporting the drivetrain, I decided that scrimping and saving a few bucks just wasn't worth the risks since my plan was to hand-down this classic to my family.

In the end, I opted to buy a new Summit brand crossmember. If you look online closely at the Summit brand crossmember, you will see that it strongly resembles the G-Force ones but NOT at the G-Force price. When I received and was installing the crossmember, I noted one of the diagrams in the instructions was originally that used by G-Force. Over the years, I have found that many of Summit's parts are made by major brands but sold under the Summit brand AND a little less expensive!
Not sure when you bought it but the g force one is cheaper than the Summit one! $235 on Amazon for the G force one!

·
Registered
4,676 Posts

yep! I picked up some pre-assembled "Summit" cylinder heads for $180 on Craigslist a couple years ago that are really just Dart Sportsman in disguise (I checked the casting numbers)! 😁

·
Registered
760 Posts
When I shop for my parts online, I always comparison shop! And, since I live in Hawaii, I also have to factor in shipping costs and delivery timetables.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts