El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
We all know ECs are tough. Made for work.
Gotta be careful lugging things around in them though.
Don't scratch the WOOD!

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,350 Posts
We all know ECs are tough. Made for work.
Gotta be careful lugging things around in them though.
Don't scratch the WOOD!
Ahwee,.. Nuts..!.. lol

·
Registered
436 Posts
I always figured that if I was supposed to haul anything in the bed of my '68 EC the factory would have put some tie down brackets in the bed. I ended up adding two tie down brackets down low on the back of the cab. The first time I hauled a fairly heavy load I blew out the factory 90 psi air shocks. I Fixed that problem with some 150 psi air shocks. This was my daily driver for eight years and I hauled a lot of stuff in it but always with the tailgate down and nothing on the bed trim.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Gilby' right

NUTS

Reactions: gilby

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
Gilby NUTS

Got the roof covered. Have you been shaking the trees again?

·
Registered
542 Posts
No use having a bed if you can't use it every once in a while! I use mine every now and then to move 500lb injection mold tools for work. Usually one of the guys in shipping will do it in one of their big diesel trucks but the Elco can do it just as well when they're too busy.

View attachment 136212
Hopefully, nobody cuts in front of you with no tie downs in the bed when you are hauling equip for work, or any other time for that matter.

·
Registered
436 Posts
If you haul anything in the back of your pickup or trailer it has to be securely tied down. People have been killed by one concrete block that came through their back glass during a collision. People have also been killed by one 2"X4" that came through their windshield while they were driving down the highway.

·
Registered
542 Posts
If you haul anything in the back of your pickup or trailer it has to be securely tied down. People have been killed by one concrete block that came through their back glass during a collision. People have also been killed by one 2"X4" that came through their windshield while they were driving down the highway.
That's a fact. Some years ago, a woman alleged to be under the influence driving behind a pickup truck near Renton, Wa. was struck by furniture which had fallen off of the pickup. The splintered furniture came through her windshield and hit her in the face. She is now totally blind for the rest of her life. Due to that incident and all of the lawsuits, the state tightened the cargo securement rules/fines, and made it a felony if an unsecured load is the cause of an accident.

·
Registered
895 Posts
That's only common sense, Oops, I forgot that a lot of people out there are lacking in that area, (no common sense).

Reactions: Rj143

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hopefully, nobody cuts in front of you with no tie downs in the bed when you are hauling equip for work, or any other time for that matter.
Very true. Fortunately it's only about a mile or so down a backroad. Not much of any traffic and not going much above 20mph the whole time so not a huge risk there. Plus the loads are always strapped to a pallet and with the bed liner in there, they don't ever move.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I was getting a load of mulch in my side chick one day when the driver of a F-150 said, 'That's too nice of a car to be hauling mulch'. To which I had a killer reply...'It's a truck!' He was speechless.....Another favorite reply is 'GMC didn't make no cars!'

·
Registered
447 Posts
View attachment 136438

I was getting a load of mulch in my side chick one day when the driver of a F-150 said, 'That's too nice of a car to be hauling mulch'. To which I had a killer reply...'It's a truck!' He was speechless.....Another favorite reply is 'GMC didn't make no cars!'
Thats insane funny right there and true!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Using my Elky as a truck today to have a set of buckets refurbished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,350 Posts
Looks like a Gaylord top on the blue Elco. I have one on my 85 and the underside looks like yours. Gaylord rep said it is a 80's vintage design.
not sure what it is..thanks..

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 73 SS I bought new. Used it on the farm all the time, feed, hay, tools, etc.
Pic is after a workout at the dragstrip voiding the factory warranty.
001.jpg
dragstrip, busy voiding the factory warranty.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts