El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on building me a pro-touring 1980 El Camino and it has a V6 in it i think it is a 229 but i would like to put a 4.3 in it with fuel injection or maybe see if i can get everything from the new camaro v6 and transplant it but i would like for either engine it to be fuel efficiant and have good horsepower.
Please give me advice or suggestions

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
I would try to score one from a 1500 series truck. closest to same weight as your elkie, so you could use the puter and everything else from the 1500. They came with 4.3/2004R combos, so should be able to find one fairly easy

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you were gonna go to the trouble of putting in a new camaro motor you might as well do a fuel injected v8 swap with overdrive and it would get pretty good gas mileage.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well, I don't know much about the new Camaro V6... but I'll presume it is based off the latest generation of V8 which folks have been swapping back to older cars and trucks pretty regularly and there is plenty of documentation on that swap. The 4.3 is easy enough as well.

Like I said, I don't know much about the latest generation V6 but I would have to assume it would be the most fuel efficient and maybe even powerful of the two choices...
I base that notion only off of the assumption that the Camaro V6 would have all the latest bells and whistles like some form of variable timing, fuel management, etc, etc.
A little time on Google should get you a rough idea about the credientials of each engine, there are wiki pages for most engine designs and *plenty* of websites and or forums with information on swapping, modifying and building either engine.

Either one backed with an overdrive transmission and a reasonable rear end will give a very pleasant drive around town or down the highway with respectable miles per gallon.

Sorry that isn't more helpful, but trust me, if you're interested in the swap, a lot of Googleing and reading and learning is in order and you'll have to put in the time to figure out what you want most for your ride. : )

:beer:

Jeri~

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
What is your budget?? That will help,,, are you looking for performance and mileage?? I love V-61s,, Matty man

V-61s!!! :Eyecrazy:

Man, you can tell those guys that are used to workin on airplane engines!

:nanawrench:

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
OPPPSSS,,, thats love the V-6`s,,, stupid spell check,, oh wait you have to use it,, DOH!!,, but I could mod it to fit a CFM-56,,,hhhmmmmmm Matty man

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
another optionis a 5.7 tbi set up. i have this set up in a gbody wagon 5.7=200r4 swap =273 gears
plenty of pep and 18mpg in the city with ice cold air 22+hwy and not near as much $$ for the whole set up either :beer:

·
Registered
281 Posts
v6 swap

A suggestion please. If you do swap out the v6 in your car, some of the parts could bring $ your way and help out a fellow member. 229, dizzy in the rear. 231, dizzy up front. good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts