El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several people commented on the loud knocking or ticking my car made but no one knew what this part is. Les thought it was transmission related. When I pull the vacuum line off it stops ticking. I didn't run with out it attached.
What is it and what does it do and should I replace it?
Thanks, Scott

Click picture not bar for video.

·
Premium Member
12,560 Posts
That looks like the vacumn can to the heat riser to the exhaust, and yes it can tick, sometimes real loud.
It causes the motor to warm up faster. Not needed, (if I'm right!!)
Donny

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
its the heat riser,,has a vacuum can down by manifold,,the butterfly in the exhast is probably loose,,
e z fix,,pull down pass side exhaust,,if single exhaust and you still have a y pipe,,more fun,,the whole y pipe has to come off to gain access,,,once you get to it ,,you can eliminate the pesky thing,,by removing metal plate only,,DO NOT,,take out the shaft or you will have a exhaust leak where the shaft goes thru,,put the offending valve in a vise and pull the metal center part out of the cross shaft,,,then,,clean it all up and reinstall the thing ,,minus the metal flap,,plug the vacuum line,,and make sure the arm that goes to center rod is in a fixed posotion or it will rattle and drive you nuts,,

·
Premium Member
12,123 Posts
That's the EFE (Early Fuel Evaporation ) system likely. They do work good for us folks in the North country, on stock engines.
Vacuum valve in the coolant system, near the theromstat housing, closes when coolant temp comes up, letting the canister open the valve in the exhaust pipe.
. When engine is cold, the valve being closed forces exhaust gas through the cross-over passage under the carb to the other side exhaust manifold, making for better atomization/evaporation of the cold fuel/air mixture.
It's all about gas mileage and quicker warm-up .
My '77 Elco had it ,just like yours....

·
Registered
691 Posts
efe valve

If it's making noise,can you just pull off the vacuum hose and plug it???

·
ZERO MPG
15,379 Posts
That's the EFE (Early Fuel Evaporation ) system likely. They do work good for us folks in the North country, on stock engines.
Vacuum valve in the coolant system, near the theromstat housing, closes when coolant temp comes up, letting the canister open the valve in the exhaust pipe.
. When engine is cold, the valve being closed forces exhaust gas through the cross-over passage under the carb to the other side exhaust manifold, making for better atomization/evaporation of the cold fuel/air mixture.
It's all about gas mileage and quicker warm-up .
My '77 Elco had it ,just like yours....
x2

·
ZERO MPG
15,379 Posts
If it's making noise,can you just pull off the vacuum hose and plug it???

yes it's used for warming up the engine.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't remember if it stopped ticking just being capped off. I ended up finding and fixing the source of the vacuum leak and that stopped the ticking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts