El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vacuum lines

1980 classic hvac system. Black hard plastic line from tee in power brake booster hose to inlet on vacuum canister mounted on hvac housing. purple line from outlet of vacuum canister to port on 8 port switch on control head. Purple and white seperate vacuum hose bundle from 8 port head to 2 port head on control head. Orange line from 8 port switch to diaphram behind glove box. red line to right hand side of center diapram. Yellow line from 8 port switch to left side of center diaphram. Blue line from 8 port switch to diaphram closest to the gas pedal.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Vacuum lines

1980 classic hvac system. Black hard plastic line from tee in power brake booster hose to inlet on vacuum canister mounted on hvac housing. purple line from outlet of vacuum canister to port on 8 port switch on control head. Purple and white seperate vacuum hose bundle from 8 port head to 2 port head on control head. Orange line from 8 port switch to diaphram behind glove box. red line to right hand side of center diapram. Yellow line from 8 port switch to left side of center diaphram. Blue line from 8 port switch to diaphram closest to the gas pedal. Tan line from 8 port head out to vacuum switch that controls the anti freeze going in and out of the system.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about the double post. Please use the newest one. Now for the vacuum control heads. One with 2 ports, One with 8. 2 port gets one purple and one white line both from the 8 port. Ill try to explain the 8 port since I cant post a picture. Draw a circle on a piece of paper. Draw 2 little circles in the upper left portion. This should give you the proper orientation of the ports. there will be 6 on the right side in clusters, one cluster of two on the bottom and 4 near the center of the circle.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pics

Sorry 87, I would like to but am not able, I would rather do it that way. I hope my explanations are clear enough to figure out whats what.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Posting problem

Could someone tell me why I just lost 20 minutes worth of typing because of a log in falure?

·
Registered
134 Posts
couldnt tell you why you had a log in failure but im glad you went ahead and made a thread for this info and i hope it gets a stickie. it was so nice to get a straight answer about what i need to do with my heat/ac. guess i just picked the right time to ask again.

thanks again 80v6!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I hope you don't mind that I copied some of the postings and created a PDF document with all the info.

Jack
Excellent, thanks Jack. Your pdf showed that my nine port switch did have the yellow and orange vac lines reversed. (I wonder if it had been this way since 1982). Since I could not pull them out of the switch easily and didn't want to tear the soft plastic coupling, I elected to cut my vac lines past the coupler behind the glove box. I then reconnected them yellow to orange and all doors work correctly now. yea!

Since links often lose the originating web host, I'll retype your response (paraphrased, cause I don't know how to cut-past a pdf) here. Looking at the photo of the nine port switch above:

1. Yellow vac line leads to left or front side of two directional lower heat door actuator (these actuators or "pods" are called "vacuum motors" by some parts houses).

2. Blue vac line leads to dash A/C vent actuator.

3. Blocked off. No line attached.

4. White vac line to 2 port switch.

5. Red vac line leads to right hand or rear side of two directional lower heat door actuator.

6. Blocked off. No line attached.

7. Purple vac line leads through fire wall to vacuum canister. Also split at 9 port switch to lead to 2 port switch.

8. Grey vac line leads to vacuum switch that controls the coolant going in and out of system.

9. Orange vac line leads to Recirculating door actuator (behind glove box).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts