El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my elky, there was no vacuum line going to the heater control valve to shut off coolant flow to the heater core.
I want to hook up the valve so it turns on flow when I want heat on and turns off when I put the temp/heat selector off.

On my uncles buick he has a box on the firewall that a vacuum line goes from to the heater control valve, I think its some sort of vacuum switch.

Anyway, does anyone know how this is supposed to be done? My feet are getting a little too toasty with the heat stuck on :dontknow:

And for those who dont know its terminology, the heater control valve is what connects one of the heater hoses to the intake manifold. So just follow the heater hoses to the intake, and tell me where the vacuum line for the heater control valve is coming from :D

· Deputy Director Region 8
3,008 Posts
Check your blend door were it pivits,, it is plastic and breaks,, that is what mine did, seemed like full heat all the time,, well because the blend door that controls the flap for the heat was open, wide open, I could manually close it and no more heat,, but it always came open again,, you can feel the pivit point it should be on the top of the heater box under the dash,, you can feel it,, move the heat lever and you should feel the "vee" shaped plastic lever that the heat cables attaches to and goes to the heat door. But as far as the vacuum line I think it it is from the pass side firewall,,,, Matty man

· Premium Member
6,147 Posts
Matty I think his 4th gen use a different setup than the 5th gen.
Maybe some of these 4th gen guys will jump in here later.

· Registered
27 Posts
I looked at mine, but can tell where it comes from, except thru fire wall and then into a cluster of other vacuum lines. Dont know exactly which one it is as several have white stripe. Sorry I couldnt be more help. I am struggling with vaccum issues myself. I have a '74 350 2 bbl with AC. :dontknow:

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Rpala, that does help, because now I know the connection is inside the car. I will get under the dash and look! I know now that it will be the one controlled by the switch for heat. So ill follow the wire from heat to the vacuum control, i just didnt know where that control was, inside or out. Thanks guys!:You_Rock:

· Supporting Member
4,739 Posts
There should be two vacuum hoses going through the firewall to the control switch. One supplies the vacuum to the switch, and the other routes the vacuum back out to the engine for the control valve. On the 5th gens, the vacuum source is Pink, and the return to the valve is Grey. Don't know if they used the same color scheme on your gen, but the General tends to stick to a pattern.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.