El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Another question for the El Camino kings! There has been so many blessings so far I might have to start sacrificing sheep!

Well, the question is, I have a ZZ4 motor. Me and a friend of mine cleaned up the engine bay and removed alot of stuff. We removed the cruise control, old headers, vacuum ball, the list goes on.

My first question is this

I have read that removing the vacuum ball would create a scenario where the AC would only blow through the floor vents, or I would lose cold A/C during WOT. However, I have not noticed this happening. Should I put the vacuum reservoir back on, or should I leave it off?

The second is

When looking up vacuum diagrams from other members on the forums I see that there is a vacuum line going to the fuel tank. Do I need to cap this off, or should I replace the vacuum to that. I assume that if I replace it, I would need to route it towards the PCV valve entrance for the fuel vapors.

Please note that I live in a state that does not require emissions anymore, and while I know some of you are adamant about environmental controls, this car is driven less than 1,000 miles annually. This being said, there is no a single item left of the old emission control system.

Thank you! :You_Rock:

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
If the hvac works to your liking without the ball, leave it off, that's all it's for. The line to the tank is probably the tank vent that goes to the canister. If you have a canister I would say use it, it is beneficial. If you have no canister, you could try capping off the vent. Then see if you have any fuel delivery issues.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I replaced the vacuum ball, I hooked it up to the vacuum tree in the rear of the motor (where my AC vacuum main is located) It seems to help keep the doors open during normal driving.

Does this change the amount/type of vacuum that is present in my motor? My vacuum advance is also running off of the same tree. Would it affect that as well? I noticed last night that it started sounding like a sewing machine after I made the changes.

:???:-Martin

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
It's my understanding that the vacuum ball stores vacuum only for the HVAC controls. Without it on low vacuum situations the controls on and under the dash won't operate properly. The line your talking about from the gas tank might have been a vent that used to run to the charcoal canister. On my 87 that canister used to sit next to the vacuum ball under the hood in the front left corner behind the head lights.
The closest thing to emissions I have left on my motor are the tail pipes so when I removed the charcoal canister I left the check valve on the end of the gas tank vent and ran it out under the front of the car near the bumper so the tank could vent if it needs too during fill ups and pressure when it sits in the sun.
Ang.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts