El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, this is my first post here so hopefully I'm doing it right. Have a 1978 caballero with 350 that I am slowly working on. This weekend I am replacing the valve cover gaskets. Already purchased Fel-Pro cork gaskets and RTV sealant. Do I just use the gaskets or a combo of the gasket and sealant and if so does the sealant go on both sides of gasket or just one side. BTW the reason I am replacing is once the car is warmed up I notice smoke coming out from under valve covers, hoping new gaskets solves problem. Thanks

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
First WELCOME from Texas.
Cork gaskets are junk...sorry to say.
Fel-Pro makes a great rubber gasket but it costs a little more.
Having said all that here's what I do. Use the sealant on the valve covers, not on the block.
Also check the valve covers to make sure someone hasn't over tightened them over the years.
You can put sealent on both sides of the gasket it just makes a mess when you have to remove them.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,781 Posts
Welcome from Florida !! :florida: Got any pics ?
X2 cork = junk

I use the Fel-pro permaDryPlus ! Cost a little more but worth it !

Fel-Pro's PermaDryPlus valve cover gaskets feature precision edge-molded silicone rubber, which resists high heat and delivers reliable sealing on irregular surfaces. This silicone rubber is wrapped around a rigid carrier that adds strength to the gasket to resist being sucked in under high vacuum or blown out when under pressure. At the same time, it also prevents over-tightening of the mounting bolts.

·
Registered
257 Posts
And you can reuse the rubber one's + u don't have to take the time to scrape the RTV off

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts
Make sure your PCV valve is working. Shouldn't have smoke coming like that unless there is pressure building up.

·
Registered
532 Posts
X2 on the rubber gaskets, that is the way to go. and never ever use silicone(rtv) on valve cover gaskets,rtv is a gasket maker, not a gasket sealer(tends to make cork slip out of place more than anything else) what i do is glue(gasket glue or even rubber cement works well)one side of the gasket to the valve cover,(just to keep it in place, not to seal it the cork needs no help sealing) the other side you don't want to glue so it will be removable.rubber valve cover gaskets need no glue or sealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts