El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im getting ready to help my brother rebuild an engine i also have another i am supposed to do on my wifes nova. just wondering if anyone could tell me what in a "nut shell" what needs to be done on a valve job. im a machinist wondering if i should try it or just send it out andhave it done.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Well, I guess that would depend on your knowledge of being a machinist, access to the required machine shop tools, and what exactly has to be done to the heads. If the valve guides are worn you may need to install new bronze valve guides. New valves can be installed or you can grind the seats and the valves if they are not to pitted or bent. Do you know about shimming the valve springs to attain the correct height. There's also the chance that there is a hairline crack that you may miss unless the heads are hot tanked and then magnafluxed in which case the heads are trash usually. Hey I have a great idea...why not let somone else do it...I would and do. I would hate to mess up my wifes car...they have a tendacy to never let you forget your mistakes. I'd also hate to mess up my brothers car, especially if he was bigger than me. :lol: Anyway it's your decision...only you can decide if you have the ability to do what might be needed. Maybe you could find a "how to" book and pick up a head out of a boneyard and try your creativity on that one first to see how it turns out and gain some knowledge and experience. I am not a machinist, but I can assemble some really killer engines...I have a professional do all my machine shop work...they campaign a fairly well known Top Fuel dragster and I trust them to do what I want or need.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well thanks for the input. i probably will send it out. but i think i might also try one from a boneyard.worse case scenario im out 25 bucks with that.as far as acess to machines is no problem im the foreman in the shop i work at.i just got done chroming a front spindle and re grinding it . it was shot,but dont think i have to worry about it for awhile now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts