El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got valve lifters changed today cause it was ticking noise and the guy told me he didnt have a tool i dont know whats it callled to do something to the lifters so it wont make that noise so he just put them on. and he said just leave the car running and the tickin noise will go away. i been thur hell with this car i changed the flywheel starter spark plugs rebuilt the carb new power steering new eletric fuel pump . and the guy told me if the ticking sound dont go away the cam is messed up. but my question is in how long the ticking noise will go away??

·
Registered
572 Posts
AHHHH,the fun with older cars,im hearing ya,but when they are running well,its such a great feeling........sorry,cant help with the lifter issue,but im sure its not going to be a major expense.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol im kinda givin up on the car man :let_it_all_out::let_it_all_out::let_it_all_out:

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
zbaby from your post 3 /\ it sounds to me like whoever it is working on your car has no clue what is going on. If he replaced the lifters he would have had the intake, valve covers and rocker arms off and would have had to adjust them. The tool required is a 5/8 socket. He also would have seen that the cam was not moving one or more the proper amount while doing the adjustment.
Maybe a big part of the ongoing problems is not the elky but who is working on it.

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts
X3- Just changing lifters on a Flat Tappet cam is a no-no. The lifters and Cam wear together to crate a pattern. Putting new lifters on an old cam will just wear out the cam and new lifters quicker.

How well do you know this mechanic? Saying he doesn't have the proper tool sounds like BS. There's a possibility that nothing was done to your car, except removing dollars from your wallet.

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
ripped off

X3- Just changing lifters on a Flat Tappet cam is a no-no. The lifters and Cam wear together to crate a pattern. Putting new lifters on an old cam will just wear out the cam and new lifters quicker.

How well do you know this mechanic? Saying he doesn't have the proper tool sounds like BS. There's a possibility that nothing was done to your car, except removing dollars from your wallet.
yes i agree seems you have a hard go as of late. plz do yourself a favor and find a new mechanic, or dig in and do it yourself that way yoy know exactly what has and hasnt been done to your truck:beer:

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
In the good old days we adjusted the lifters by backing off the nut until it started ticking, tighten nut until it stops ticking, and tighten one more half to full turn. Then do the next one, etc. It shouldn't need to be said that this is done while the engine is idling.

Jack

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
can do a static adj also, with eng off, set at #1, then #6

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts
Slightly better to adjust while running, but very messy. Setting them with the engine not running is fine for a street car, especially one with hydraulic lifters. Definitely something I would believe is included with a lifter change. If the mechanic had the skills to tear the engine half apart to replace a lifter, then setting the valve lash should be child's play.

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts
Check the valve cover bolts, so be sure there is fresh signs of removal. Also check the intake manifold where it contacts the engine block on the front of the engine. You should see a fresh bead of silicon there. These are both signs that the work might have been done ( or not done).

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
he did the work i seen it fresh silicon on it.. but the noise should go away? of the lifters since there new? im young i cant be spendin money like that :neutral: and i got a baby on the way :dontknow:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
noises dont often fix themselves or just go away seems like its not adjusted right or you have other issues try getting your mechanic to reset the valves something definetly not right here

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
try adjusting the lifters yourself its not hard at al just a lil messy:beer:
need any tips just holler :texas:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I'm a tolerably good mechanic. At least, I can read instructions and have a pretty good idea what to do. My friend was a mechanic when I was still in high school, and he's built many engines. We both set our lifters by the static method, then we both used an old valve cover with with a slot cut in it and sides around the hole and adjusted them with the engines running. We both found lifters that were too tight and some that were too loose.

The old rule: "It's better to hear them than smell them."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts