El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this hole in my engine and my friends dad said that it is where the valve plug goes. He told me they are made of rubber and used to keep dirt out of the engine. Well I am wanting to know where I could buy said plug if that's what it really is. He is older and has had a lot of car/truck/mechanical experience so I trust he knows exactly what he is talking about. I will continue to look locally for this valve plug but I though I might as well try here as well.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the whole I forgot to put it up. :nanawrench:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Kevin,
You didn't say what part of the engine we are looking at. The photo looks like it might be of a VERY dirty valve cover. If so, that hole would be for a breather or oil filler cap.

What part of the engine is it?
Bud

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Looks like it's missing part of the crankcase ventilation system,particularly the grommet and the tube going to the air cleaner from the valve cover.Or may be it's a push in oil fill cap and the grommet and cap are missing, hard to tell without a picture with a wider view to see where we're looking.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will try to get a better picture in the morning.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is a better picture it is on the left valve cover on the far end. What is it called and where can I get one? All help is appreciated and thank you all for the help so far. Here is a picture that is a bit wider

·
Premium Member
5,813 Posts
Look at the white snout sticking out of your air cleaner (the little thing with rings on it that is going to nothing). There is a hose that runs from it down to the hole in the valve cover. there is a grommet that fits in the hole to accept the connecting tube.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
464elky got it right. A PCV valve system has to have vacuum. There is very little vacuum in the air cleaner. The hole and the nipple is for the valve cover breather.

Doug

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay then thanks a lot you guys I shall be buying one soon. :You_Rock:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Kevin,
You need a total of THREE things. You need the two items you posted a picture of and as Jack K said you also need a short section of rubber hose ( around an 11/2' to 2" long) thats big enough to fit over the end of the metal tube and the plastic nipple that is sticking out of the air cleaner. If its not offered where you get the metal tube just take the tube with you to a parts store and tell them you need a short piece of hose to fit over the end of it so you can connect it to the air cleaner. That should fix you up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts