El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm right at 152k. Blue grey smoke on start up. Drive it all day and no problems. park It a few hours and same thing. I figure it's the valve seals.

I've got some time off coming up and a super low budget. I figured I could take the heads off, clean what I got, replace valve seals. Replace head gaskets, maybe a hair thinner for compression, do plugs, wires, cap and rotor.

I know there are $400 350s that run but I'm not there. I have to milk this motor for another 10k miles.

What else can I do while I'm in there to keep it under like a hundred bucks on the heads. Got a dremel but I was told porting doesn't do much without headers. Although I have found those for like 50 bucks but when you're throwing on the mufflers and pipe I'm still out of my league.

So I figure the heads need love.

thanks!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
If you save and plan to upgrade, I'd let it ride. As long as it quits, and doesn't smoke going down the road:beer:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome!

Yeah long term plan is vortec big block, FI and overdrive pushed by a 9".

The Th350 is in plans to get pulled and swapped/sold for the 200r4 core...

I was going to start with the rear end... then tranny, then find the power

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have an 87 GMC Sierra Classic R1500, 380,000 miles on it. Mine has been doing this for years. I recently blew a head gasket. Since the heads had to come off, and the cylinders looked good. I replaced the seals and oil pan gasket at the same time as the head gaskets. The old GMC acts like it has another 300,000 to go now.

This is a stock 5.7 TBI smog pump engine. I would let it run until you notice excessive oil consumption or coolant loss.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The heads seem good. No visible leaks, no white smoke. Mystery coolant that I topped off with mix. I was going to flush it this weekend. Don't want to divert the post too much but not sure what to put back in there... I'm in Jax and we still have at least a few more 110 degree heat index days... Hoses are good condition.. Doing valve cover gaskets at the same time.

That's great about the GMC. I figured all crank and rod bearings are fine at this age. Don't see oil blow by so figure the re-ring wasn't even necessary.

The PO was 84, original owner, retired pilot.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I know for a fact you can run 11.20on a 7.5 diff, with slicks, I took it out after that, I didn't want to buy aftermarket axles for it. Also I will soak up any TH350 without Lock up, I'm hard on'm.:beer:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Truth be told I've got the crotch rocket up for sale. Bought an 81 goldwing to commute on.

The dealer keeps whispering evil finance deals at me to get back on a 9 second bike and I'm trying to build a substitute without payments. The gs1100e was a ten second bike that I rode for 20k miles. Wicked mistress.

Truly understand about being hard on 'em! :beer:

If I was smarter I'd Frankenstein a 406 to 11:1 and maybe just build the TH350. I don't know, I figure I need wicked mid range punch to launch a decent 60' and then lay on the torque once she's gripped.

Did you just use the 7.5 with a braced cover>? Is it cheaper to build that then spend about $700 on the ferd 9? I've always heard guys rag on 'em and didn't know the real deal.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The heads seem good. No visible leaks, no white smoke. Mystery coolant that I topped off with mix. I was going to flush it this weekend. Don't want to divert the post too much but not sure what to put back in there... I'm in Jax and we still have at least a few more 110 degree heat index days... Hoses are good condition.. Doing valve cover gaskets at the same time.

That's great about the GMC. I figured all crank and rod bearings are fine at this age. Don't see oil blow by so figure the re-ring wasn't even necessary.

The PO was 84, original owner, retired pilot.
My head gaskets developed an internal coolant leak on #4 cylinder. Coolant kept going down and the #4 spark plug has a bunch of corrosion on it.

My machine shop guy told me to just do the seals, when I took the heads in to be rebuilt. He said with as many miles as my GMC had, if he did a total rebuild of the heads, chances were the engine would have too much top end compression. Eventually (probably sooner) blow the rings and smoke all the time.

I've been driving it back and forth to work for a year now (12,000 miles) and no sign of a bigger problem.

I've actually diverted funds saved for a replacement engine in the pick up to do stuff to the El Camino :wink1:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My head gaskets developed an internal coolant leak on #4 cylinder. Coolant kept going down and the #4 spark plug has a bunch of corrosion on it.

My machine shop guy told me to just do the seals, when I took the heads in to be rebuilt. He said with as many miles as my GMC had, if he did a total rebuild of the heads, chances were the engine would have too much top end compression. Eventually (probably sooner) blow the rings and smoke all the time.

I've been driving it back and forth to work for a year now (12,000 miles) and no sign of a bigger problem.

I've actually diverted funds saved for a replacement engine in the pick up to do stuff to the El Camino :wink1:
You mean to say you guys have machine guy shops that'll do the right thing and not waste your money for a future rebuild out in OK??? It makes sense to me. All parts worn at the same level I guess keep a happy loose tolerance and keep running.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
My 7.5 was stock, basically, Auburn posi broke, welded it,could tell axles were twisting when there was no side play, would beat the clips out and put in another junk yard axle. Axles were the weak link. Don't buy a Auburn if you plan on beating on it.:beer:
Don't due a chemical flush, it'll loose'n up stuff you aren't ready for.:beer:

·
Registered
276 Posts
You mean to say you guys have machine guy shops that'll do the right thing and not waste your money for a future rebuild out in OK??? It makes sense to me. All parts worn at the same level I guess keep a happy loose tolerance and keep running.
Yep. Veteran guy just like me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.