El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The vapor canister and all its vacuum hoses in my new project ‘80 el Camino are not connected to anything. Is it safe to remove? I’m in Florida, so no emissions testing. I would keep it on a shelf in case that ever changes.

Point blank- does this serve any purpose other than emissions? Can the car be happy and healthy without it?

·
Premium Member
8,165 Posts
Mine is used for the vent for the fuel tank. You might check if yours is connected there for that purpose.

·
Registered
939 Posts
This is a smog component you do want. It has no affect on engine operation and helps remove the fuel smell from your car as well as cleaning the environment. Quite a few people are adding them to their pre-71 cars just to control the fuel vapors.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a smog component you do want. It has no affect on engine operation and helps remove the fuel smell from your car as well as cleaning the environment. Quite a few people are adding them to their pre-71 cars just to control the fuel vapors.
Remove the fuel smel?!?! But I love the smell of carbureted gasoline in the morning!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is used for the vent for the fuel tank. You might check if yours is connected there for that purpose.
Good point. I plan to drop the tank and replace the fuel lines when I do the floor pans in a few months. I will see if there’s another vent. If not I’ll add one. With the hoses all dry rotted anyways I think I’ll go ahead and remove the canister. If fumes become an issue, I’ll probably put in a more modern system.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Mine (canister) went bye bye a long time ago! Computer sits there now. If you have gas smell in the garage you can mount it under the bed on the passenger side by the fuel tank. I was gonna do that but my car deoesn't fill the garage with gas fumes Good luck!

Joe

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would keep it..
x2 hide it..
fuel now days is crap, and it stinks..

there should be a tank vent line there on the driver side frame rail..

does the carb have the fuel bowl vent??
I will have to check the carb. There are hoses running all over this engine compartment, most of them dead end. There is a hose attached to the carb bowl but I will have to trade it to see if/where it goes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts