El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not the 1st 90+ degree day we've had since I've owned my Elky but it's the first time I experienced vapor lock I think. It started running really rough, I noticed the fuel in the clear fuel filter was not flowing smoothly. It was spurting and bubbling. After the engine cooled down I restarted it and everything was fine. What would cause it to suddenly happen? I've driven it in parades in July and never had the problem. What's the fix? Wood clothes pins on the fuel line? (If you're old enough you'll recognize that cure)

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
check all of your ruber lines between the tank and pump. if yours has two fuel lines into the pump it shouldnt vaporlock. if it turns out to be vaporlock you can put that heat wrap around the fuel lines up to the fuel pump.the pump itself could be going bad,sucking air

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Next time it happens... pop the gas cap off. If there's a rush of air, then you've got a vacuum forming in the tank. If so, the vent line is likely plugged.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
you could also have a bad charcoal canister or control valve creating vacuum in the tank as ssr71 stated above

·
Registered
281 Posts
Vapor lock.

If vapor lock is really your problem, I guarantee the way to eliminate it completely is to install an electric fuel pump back by the engine. To be used with your mechanical pump. Dont even need a regulater.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the rule of thumb is that a pump will only suck so far but will push for ever. not litterally . but as stated above. if you do install an electric put it as close to the tank as possible. but i will tell you honestly i have had gen 5 elco s since 1984 and have never had any vaporlock issues with any of them and never ran an electric pump on a non efi one either. do your best to find your cause brfore you jump into buying stuff to throw at it.i have had mine at over 150 mph for almost an hour with a single fuel lined system on a 90 degree night with no signs of vaporlock or fuel delivery issues. it could be as simple as a bad gas cap . the cap has a vent in it to allow air in the tank but no vapors out.or it could be a cloged fuel sock in the tank arieating the fuel. i change the sock every 5 years or so as a precaution,while the tank is down replace the ruber fuel lines on top of the tanks,a tiny hole will cause all sorts of problems.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the pic by my screen name is of the digital speedo in my caprice. the last mark on the elco speedo is 140 and have had the needle about an in past it,been arested for 152 in the same road in the elco.my one true vice in life is speed

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the rule of thumb is that a pump will only suck so far but will push for ever. not litterally . but as stated above. if you do install an electric put it as close to the tank as possible. but i will tell you honestly i have had gen 5 elco s since 1984 and have never had any vaporlock issues with any of them and never ran an electric pump on a non efi one either. do your best to find your cause brfore you jump into buying stuff to throw at it.i have had mine at over 150 mph for almost an hour with a single fuel lined system on a 90 degree night with no signs of vaporlock or fuel delivery issues. it could be as simple as a bad gas cap . the cap has a vent in it to allow air in the tank but no vapors out.or it could be a cloged fuel sock in the tank arieating the fuel. i change the sock every 5 years or so as a precaution,while the tank is down replace the ruber fuel lines on top of the tanks,a tiny hole will cause all sorts of problems.
Thanks for the advice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts