El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new member, just bought a 1982 El Camino the Saturday before Father's Day. When I turned the vents on for the first time, there was a strange "thunk" sound. I was wondering if this is normal, and if there is anything I could do to fix the problem, or if there is nothing I can do?

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
That would be your a/c vent/defrost mode door sticking. Vacuum moves the door to the a/c position, and when you shut the car off, the door relaxes to the defrost position until you start the car again..creating vacuum and moving the door back to a/c. The doors tend to stick, (very common amoung g-bodies.) Short of removing the distribution box behind the dash and disassembling to access the door the only band-aid fix is to spray a penetrating lubricant down the center vents.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I seem to have this problem, too. Anybody have a diagram of the box so I can have a chance of hitting what needs to be lubricated?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Mine makes a pretty loud bang if it's been sitting for a fair length of time, and it's putting too much air out the heater vents.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I seem to have this problem, too. Anybody have a diagram of the box so I can have a chance of hitting what needs to be lubricated?
Actually, what I have found is that it's not from the box but from the control panel. The control panel has a vaccum switch on it that opens and closes vents depending on where the selector slider is at. Inside that switch is small rubber diaphram that shrink or have cracked. This is common in all G-Bodies. I have swapped my control panel twice and the switch unit once with ones from junkyard cars hoping the switch was better than the one I had, but no luck. Even after switching my entire dash, including ducts and boxes for one out of a Grand Prix, it still had the thunk. I have just learned to live with it. It is fun to have someone ride in my Elky because they are unspecting, depending on how long in between drives it could take 30 secs or up to 10 mins so you never know when you will get it and it always scares the crap out of them. :lookround:

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
You can buy new vacuum switches from Four Seasons part #'s 36693 and 36694.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can buy new vacuum switches from Four Seasons part #'s 36693 and 36694.
Awesome, I am tired of waiting for another G Body to come in my salvage yard to try and snatch the heater controls :smileyb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts