El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the prefered method of squeezing/crimping new vent window rivets?

64 El Camino, got new rivets for Ginger and need to squeeze them without screwing them up. Thanks.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Sean, I am trying to fabricate a tool for this as my white ride needs rivets. I am thinking of welding the tip if a 60 degree center punch to the lower jaw of a large Vice Grip about 9". Put a rubber stool leg cushion on the upper jaw. It should do the job easily and should crush uniformly. Whadya thunk?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I replaced mine a week ago using rivets and a special tool I got from classicparts.com. It was fairly easly but I recommend taking it slow and checking the rivet each time you strike the tool. Also, it is a lot easier with 2 people. The rivets (03-831) were 1.99 for a pair, the tool (03-835) was 4.99 and S&H was very reasonable. This is a truck site but they do have some items for muscle cars.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked out the tool from classic and it doesnt look like it will work honorably with the wing window installed.

James, that idea sounds good. Should work.

I got one crimped with just vice grips but the driver sidewindow dropped down a little and the crimp came out wrong.

Need to order another rivet and try again.

·
Registered
378 Posts
There's a special tool used to set them. I'll eventually need to get one... but been putting it off for the time being. I'm still debating on whether I want to eliminate the vent windows entirely.

http://www.classicparts.com/1951-87-Vent-Rivet-Setting-Tool/productinfo/03-835/
I looked at there site, Is the Vent Pivot Rivets the right ones used to attach the vent glass frame to the vent assemble on a '68 to '72
Reason I ask is I have been putting off installing the new vent rubbers I have had for years on my '71 camino...

PS . Keep your vents and make them power...

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
What I did was to drill out the rivets that hold the top part of the hinge to the outer frame. That left the pivot rivet on the hinge intact. Then you can use regular pop rivets (use steel rivets... not weak aluminum) to reattach it to the frame. It's entirely hidden when you reinstall and you'll never be able to tell. But, if you're going to rechrome the frame.... it's gotta come apart to do it right.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I checked out the tool from classic and it doesnt look like it will work honorably with the wing window installed.
No, it won't. You need some type of hard flat surface to back the head of the rivet (an anvil or the flat of a nice big vice). As mentioned, having 2 people would help immensely as the one person holds the frame in the proper orientation while the other does the hammering.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm trying to do this on the car without taking anything apart.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I used a BB, from my son's BB gun and a pair of vise grips. Put the rivet in place and place the BB on the end of the rivet and squeeze the rivet and BB together. The BB spreads the rivet in a round flair shape just like it should. Take a few small squeezes and don't try to do it all in one squeeze. After the rivet is flared then set it snug with just the vise grips alone. Worked well for me. A friends extra hands would be handy, but I did it alone.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Mudmizer..thanks for a great tip. I never installed mjne. Now I have a plan. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts